HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

Why is the heat pump PH13NR024-F not coming on?

Customer Question
Why is the heat pump...

Why is the heat pump PH13NR024-F not coming on? I have a split unit with and installed 2 new RTH6500 Honeywell thermostats. Have been heating the home with no issues until we had a warm day and I switched to AC and the outdoor unit would not come on. I discovered the outdoor unit was not coming on for heat either.

I am not sure if this was happening before the new thermostat or not because it was winter and I didn't notice if it was Aux heat or not. The other unit is working fine inside and out. I know that it is hooked up correctly and the settings are correct. Last year I replaced the board in the outside unit (HK32EA001) and a capacitor. I tried to jump by connecting the O wire with R, G and Y and the fan in the Air Handler came on but not outside unit. I have 24 V in the outdoor unit (while running heat) on the Y, R, W and no voltage on the O and C wire. Checked the fuses and breaker. What can I/should I do next?

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: HVAC
2/26/2016
HVAC Technician: HVAC Guru, HVAC TECH replied 2 years ago
HVAC Guru
HVAC Guru, HVAC TECH

Hello and thanks for using this service,

Did you check the fuse on the board in the airhandler?

There should be a 3 amp fuse on the board itself, let me know

I did and it is good

Ok is the LED light on the board? Also on the outside unit is the board powered?

There aren't any LED lights.

Can you check for power to the board on it? or press the contactor button and see if the unit fires up manually?

Outside or in the air handler? I don't think there is a button. The air handler works and there is power on the board in the air handler.

I tried to jump by connecting the O wire with R, G and Y and the fan in the Air Handler came on but not outside unit.

You dd not connect them all together did you?

Only R to Y

R to G

R to W

Do I just touch them or connect them?

Touch them together R to G should run the air handler. R to W should start the unit for heat, it sounds like an outside board issue though on the unit.

I replaced the board in the outside unit (HK32EA001). The outside unit does not cut on when I put these together.

OK can you check the thermostat wiring then to the outside unit it could have a break in it.

I have 24 V in the outdoor unit (while running heat) on the Y, R, W and no voltage on the O and C wire.

Do the wires get spliced anywhere?

Only splice is down from the thermostat to the out door unit and to the air handler. No other splices. This is all in the air handler.

Yes but you have somelow voltage thermostat wires that go to the outside unit as well I am saying they may be broken. Now secondly have you checked the outside unit for any tripped limits that may have tripped and need to be reset as well?

I checked the wires coming from the Air Handler to the outdoor unit, in the outdoor unit. I had 24 V on the Y, R, W wires and no voltage on the O and C wire.

There are no reset buttons or switches that I found. Is there something specific I need to look for? The heat was running when I checked the voltage.

Can you upload a picture of the wiring diagram here?

From outside, thermostat or air handler?

Here they are from manual and picture

Attachment: IMG_6691[1].JPG

Attachment: IMG_6690[1].JPG

Attachment: IMG_6689[1].JPG

Attachment: IMG_6688[1].JPG

It shows 2 over temp limit switches have you checked them at the outside unit?

Do I check to see if they have voltage? What do I check on them? Can you give me some guidance on what they are, this is where I am unfamiliar.

I dont see any limit switches on the outdoor unit.

Here is the wiring diagram for it: Attachment: Outside Heat Pump Wiring.jpg

Yes there are several safety devices on yours that can cause this issue...Low Pressure Switch, High Pressure Switch and Discharge Temp Switch

Are you waiting on me? I was hoping you could tell me what to check or do
HVAC Technician: airheatman, HVAC Technician replied 2 years ago
airheatman
airheatman, HVAC Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** a different expert. Sorry for all the run around. Lets start fresh.

Our first step is to turn thermostat to heat or cool and then go to outdoor unit. Locate the control wires from thermostat and check for 24 volts between the Y and C wires. (One lead on Y and one lead on C) where they come into the outdoor unit. We will go from here.