HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

I have a Rheem model RCBA manufactured in 2003. The fan

Customer Question
I have a Rheem...

I have a Rheem model RCBA manufactured in 2003. The fan blows however the inducer fan does not kick on. when the furnace is resent the Modulating Control Board goes from 8 to 2 to blinking 4. Once on 4 it continuously blinks four two times.

Contractor's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Are you ready to speak with the HVAC Technician now?

Yes

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: HVAC
2/25/2016
HVAC Technician: Kcrand36, HVAC Mechanic replied 2 years ago
Kcrand36
Kcrand36, HVAC Mechanic

good morning, I am Kevin, on one of the Tech's here on JA.

I understand you are having a problem with your Furnace?

can you help me?

I am going to try my best. I am looking up your furnace right now, if you could though, grab the entire model number which you can locate on the nameplate label in the burner compartment.

3765gg17xiinducer blower part number: 70-24206-01-04

the furnace is a RCBA 3765gg17xi?

I do not have volt meter. I am hoping you can tell me what the blinking 4 means.
I have been working online on this for nearly 3 hours this morning trying to find the answer.

that is exactly what I was looking for, did you pull off the cover of the blower panel just below the burner panel?

Sometimes they include a "legend" to the failure.

it only addresses number of blinks. It does not reference numerical readings.

I think you may be reading the cased coil number instead of the furnace number....... RCBA refers to a coil.......

ok, I am not sure where to get the model number at.
However I just figured out how to read the 4 blink 4 it is 44 and 82
44 is "Contacts closed - inducer off"
82 is "Supply air sensor - out of range"

I think we can ignore the 82, I'm assuming that is 8 meaning "lockout" for flame failure. To determine if you have a defective inducer, you will need a volt meter to test the voltage being supplied to the inducer during a call for heat. If you do not have power there, then most likely the board is defective and not sending the power to the inducer.

you can purchase an inexpensive meter at a Home Depot or Lowes, some hardware stores even have them.

Where do I find my furnace model number.
I am guessing based on my research I should see 24volts?

to your inducer motor, you should have most likely 120V.... your HSI if like a glow coil should also be 120V, your other control circuit through limits and pressure switches most likely 24V.

That model number should be on a name plate sticker, it is usually located in the burner compartment, should list voltage, Input btu's, ect....

thanks, ***** ***** Lowes now in the snow storm for voltage meter and a space heater.
Your assistance is much appreciated.

I will be here for a little while, if you can find that model number, I may be able to pull up a wiring diagram.

I did find a schematic for two different type of controls, and also a trouble shooting guide. when you get that volt meter, you may need to check pressure switch for continuity as well.......

I will be back in 30 min......

I am at a loss as how to use this meter.
I still can't find any plate with Model number.
Do I have to take wires apart to measure the volts?
Ok, I took the connection apart and stuck the prob ends into the connector (white black and red ready snap to the blower) I get .78 volts on the red and black leads.Also I should share that my zone controller is a Honeywell universal mini zone. The purge light has always flashed, I have no idea why?
Photos
Are you still able to help me?
Kevin, are you there, I am without heat.
I was able to figure it out, heat is running again.
HVAC Technician: airheatman, HVAC Technician replied 2 years ago
airheatman
airheatman, HVAC Technician

Your expert had left.If you still need help let me know .Otherwise you should have a drop down menu on your page to request a refund of your deposit so you are not billed.

Phil
Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer