HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

I have a honeywell RTH8580WF. It keeps rebooting every 10…

Customer Question
Hi I have a...

Hi I have a honeywell RTH8580WF. It keeps rebooting every 10 seconds and won't work. How can I resolve this issue? I am in Colorado and I am freezing

Contractor's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

What info do you need?

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: HVAC
2/25/2016
HVAC Technician: airheatman, HVAC Technician replied 2 years ago
airheatman
airheatman, HVAC Technician

What do you mean rebooting? Is screen going blank and then coming back on?

exactly. About every 10 seconds.
exactly... every 10 seconds

Do you have a volt meter to check to see if we are losing the 24 volts from air handler between R and C wires?

no :(

The only reason screen should go blank is if the thermostat loses power.This could be a bad furnace transformer bleeding down under load but we would need a meter to check this.

You may have to get a technician onsite with test equipment. Meanwhile would you like to see if we can make heat come on temporarily to warm up until you can get a tech out?

How?

remove front section of thermostat by pulling straight out and off of sub base, Then tell me what wires you have connected to what terminals on sub base.

red to rc
white to o/b
yellow to y
g to green
and blue to c

Loosen the RED and White and move the white over and stick in slot with RED and tighten .See if heat comes on.

no

OK if heat does not come on when connecting Red and white, we have an issue at furnace.Again this could be a transformer.

If you can get a meter we can troubleshoot the furnace issue .

You can get an inexpensive one at Walmart for about 15 bucks if you would like to troubleshoot and I would be happy to guide you.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Innova-3300-Equus-3300-Hands-free-Digital-Multimeter/14644665

No, I can't do that right now
Please give me a refund as I am not satisfied with this whole experience

Ok I wish we were able to get you some heat, but without a meter to see why we are not getting signal to thermostat or heat to energize bypassing thermostat not a lot we can do.

You should see a dropdown menu where you can request a refund.I can only help you if you are capable of helping troubleshoot.