Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

I have a honeywell RTH8580WF. It keeps rebooting every 10

Customer Question

Hi I have a honeywell RTH8580WF. It keeps rebooting every 10 seconds and won't work. How can I resolve this issue? I am in Colorado and I am freezing
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: what info do you need?
JA: OK got it. Last thing — HVAC Technicians generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

What do you mean rebooting? Is screen going blank and then coming back on?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
exactly. About every 10 seconds.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
exactly... every 10 seconds
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

Do you have a volt meter to check to see if we are losing the 24 volts from air handler between R and C wires?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no :(
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

The only reason screen should go blank is if the thermostat loses power.This could be a bad furnace transformer bleeding down under load but we would need a meter to check this.

You may have to get a technician onsite with test equipment. Meanwhile would you like to see if we can make heat come on temporarily to warm up until you can get a tech out?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How?
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

remove front section of thermostat by pulling straight out and off of sub base, Then tell me what wires you have connected to what terminals on sub base.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
red to rc
white to o/b
yellow to y
g to green
and blue to c
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

Loosen the RED and White and move the white over and stick in slot with RED and tighten .See if heat comes on.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

OK if heat does not come on when connecting Red and white, we have an issue at furnace.Again this could be a transformer.

Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

If you can get a meter we can troubleshoot the furnace issue .

You can get an inexpensive one at Walmart for about 15 bucks if you would like to troubleshoot and I would be happy to guide you.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Innova-3300-Equus-3300-Hands-free-Digital-Multimeter/14644665

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, I can't do that right now
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Please give me a refund as I am not satisfied with this whole experience
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

Ok I wish we were able to get you some heat, but without a meter to see why we are not getting signal to thermostat or heat to energize bypassing thermostat not a lot we can do.

Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

You should see a dropdown menu where you can request a refund.I can only help you if you are capable of helping troubleshoot.