HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

After calling the unit would turn off after about 1 to 2…

Customer Question
After calling for heat the...
After calling for heat the unit would turn off after about 1 to 2 minutes. I have a GOODMAN HVAC model # ***** I had the Flowrator replaced, it worked fined for about a month. Then they said it was the Air Conditioner Evaporator Motor B13400803PAS with ECM replaced because the service tech said that is the reason why my unit would turn off after about 2 minutes of turning the heater on. I'm tired of spending $$ chasing a ghost. Do you have any idea what my be the problem.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: HVAC
2/22/2016
HVAC Technician: airheatman, HVAC Technician replied 2 years ago
airheatman
airheatman, HVAC Technician

Tell me exactly what t is currently doing and if does same thing in both heat and cool modes or just heat

It is on the heat side only had the rollout limit switch replace it lasted about month and it trip,so they replace it again it lasted about ten minutes, then they said it was the blower motor had it replace did not help the problem it still trips limit switch.
I all so change the thermostat and air filter

OK when the blower comes on is there any change in characteristic of flame and does flame roll out of chamber to trip switch?

no the flame does not roll out of chamber
All so when you switch the fan switch on the thermostat from auto to on fan does not come on but inauto it works fine in both heat and cool setting.

OK so flame is not rolling out, but the rollout is tripping? Or is the high temperature limit tripping?

my parts book calls it rollout switch 300-F and my supply house calls it Limit switch 350
this a roof mount
It is the one above the burners

If the manual reset one is tripping it is not going to be to do with blower.Either the flame is getting to close to the rollout or rollout is wrong one or weak tripping prematurely even if new.

I am 77 years old and living on limited income I have two tech out here and cost me a lot i am old mechanic that can get around or l would do the work my self

I totally understand. I am just not sure why techs would replace that expensive ecm motor over an issue with a rollout switch.The sole purpose of that limit is if the flame rolls out of chamber it shuts down burners for safety.

The main limit on the other hand would trip if the blower is not moving sufficient air across the heat exchanger and allowing chamber to overheat.

My first suggestion if you are able to do so, or have one do so is look at the rollout switch they installed and see if it is the correct one.

The correct one is part number B1370154 ROLL OUT SWITCH, rated at 350º

thank you very much fore the help. l will check the part number you gave me to see if l have the right part and l will let you. thank you.

Sounds good, Sorry you are having so much trouble with this thing.