HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

I accidentally shorted the rh wire while moving my

Customer Question
I accidentally shorted the...

I accidentally shorted the rh wire while moving my thermostat. Now the boiler won't fire it's a Burnham series 2. I'm thinking either the transformer or relay needs to be replaced?

Contractor's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

That's all that's happening

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: HVAC
2/21/2016
HVAC Technician: Eddie, Home Improvement Contractor replied 2 years ago
Eddie
Eddie, Home Improvement Contractor

JA policy requires that I ask to be rated if I provide any kind of resolution I'm not asking to be rated only if it was worth something to you.......but I would like you to try something to make sure ...........at the breaker box the one that blew or the one you know is for the burner ........make sure to click it ALL the way OFF and then switch it to back on

The breaker box did not blow. I do not see any type of breaker or fuse inside the service panel for the boiler either. Just the transformer and the relay
I did try to reset breaker without luck

okay I just wanted to make sure about that ............the last thing I can suggest is if you have the manual for the thermostat and it has a reset ............if you have a service contract with a burner company they will probably replace the transformer or a relay as long as it's in the burner room usually.............good luck

The rh line does not have power upstairs so reseting the thermostat didn't work

but you have a working thermostat downstairs?............and what make are they ?

Correct rh line at the thermostat arced when I was moving the thermostat. I moved the thermostat and tried to call for heat and the boiler did not fire. The pilot is lit and the breaker box did not trip
Rh wire

the one that isn't working is hooked back up?............and is two wire low voltage correct ?

do you know which one for sure is rh and which is rc ?

Correct it is not working. It is low voltage. I have a rh. Rc. Yellow white green.
Rc is labeled rh was not

and you tested the leads............and no power to any of them .............because they are such thin wires you may have broken one with the move...........you need to test for continuity

I don't have access to a multi. But after the move the rh arced so I know there was power now there is nothing
The Green fan works

should get a multimeter and be sure .................anyone you know have one?...................neighbor?..............family?

I will get one later on when home depot opens. Is it possible it could be either the relay or transformer?

of course .....................I thought maybe the thermostat itself too .............but if you're going to the Home Depot might as well pick up a relay and transformer............I'm not sure what their policy is for electric equipment it but you can find out and return if necessary

This was the other question I have I'm fairly handy minus this mistake but i hAvent replaced either in the past. Are the transformers and relays fairly universal or are they model specific

I would get a read off of both of them and bring it with you to ask for compatibility