HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

We have a Tranquility 27 geothermal heat pump system which…

Customer Question
We have a Tranquility...

We have a Tranquility 27 geothermal heat pump system which is malfunctioning in the heating mode system and gives an error code (E2 high pressure). It is not an air flow problem (new filter), installer suspects high pressure sensor, but it is a NC switch and when the system is not operating (ie thermostat does not demand heat) it is closed. The system will generate this error after operating for a day, could this problem be generated by the TXV valve?

Contractor's Assistant: Sometimes HVAC issues that that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The HVAC Technician I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else important you think the HVAC Technician should know?

The system shuts itself down after generating a couple of these.

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: HVAC
2/19/2016
HVAC Technician: Phil, Mechanical Engineer replied 2 years ago
Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer

Hello, the problem is most common in systems over 5 years old, due to dirt accumulations in the heating coil and blower wheel... if there are furry pets in the home, or the home is located near a freeway or a farming environment that exacerbates the problem.

First step is to remove the blower access door and feel for dirt inside the concave sides of the blower wheel vanes.... if you notice any build up the solution will be to have the indoor coil cleaned professionally... or you can do it your self if you have those sorts of skill sets

Next step is make sure that the air filters are clean, and that none of the warm air vents are blocked or shut down more than 50%.

Let me know about all that, we can go from there without any time limit, If you miss me tonight I will pick your response up first thing in the morning.

Also, please let me know the last time anyone worked on the system.

The filter is new and the heating coil is a radiator style that the blower sucks air thru. It is very clean, and air flow does not seem to be a problem. The installer, who does not seem to familiar with diagnosing electrical problems, suspects that the high pressure sensor is defective. This switch in NC, do they go out of calibration and signal high pressure erronously by opening when there really is no high pressure?
Also, what would be the effects of a TXV malfunctioning?
Please respond by email, I do not have an internet connected phone.

Hello again.

A faulty TXV will not cause the problem. (a common misconception is that if the TXV closes too much it will back liquid up in to the heating coil and raise the head pressure seems logical, except the a restricted TXV also lowers the suction pressure and that lowers the compressor capacity so the head pressure will actually *drop in that case...that is what we observe also on these projects).

The way to tell if the pressure sensor is defective is to run the system with the service gages on it, and notice at what pressure the pressure sensor is cutting out at... ask you technician about that in detail, ask him what the exact head pressure reading is when the pressure sensor cuts out.

That pressure varies with the refrigerant used... look on the model number label and it will say Refrigerant R 410a or R-22 most likely.

Get back to me on all those details and we can go from there without a time limit.

The refrigerant is R410a, and nobody has actively done anything to the system, other than replacing the closed ground loop water pump shortly after installation, more than 4 years ago. What effect would insufficient water flow have on this problem?

Insufficient water flow would cause high head pressure, but ONLY in cooling mode.

In heating mode, insufficient water flow would cause the *low pressure switch to trip.

Have you been dealing with the original installation contractor? or someone else for these repair issues?

If you can tell me which direction you are from the center of the nearest city I might be able to help you find a well qualified

geothermal heat pump specialist contractor.

.

We are dealing with the original contractor, but he is not a qualified technician for this kind of detective work. His advice comes from some person in Enderby, BC. We are located in Clearwater, BC, and the closest cities would be Kamloops, and Vancouver.

Thanks, ***** ***** a sophisticated system in a location where those sorts of service people are scarce.

You best bet is to Have me coach the contractor, with enough training so that he can diagnose your system properly, without risk of messing it up ... that will take me a few hours on line, talking with him by email, and an hour or so on the phone, etc. That is a bit more time consuming than a 'just an answer' format allows.

So, I am permitted to offer you an additional service offer that you are free to accept or decline.

It will be for $250, and take me a few days of working with your contractor to get it all sorted out.

If you accept I will send you my private email address and you can send me yours, and that of your contractor along with

his name and phone number, we can begin immediately in that case.