HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

I have a very old unit. It was in this house when I bought…

Customer Question
Hi, I have a very...
Hi, I have a very old unit. It was in this house when I bought it 8 years ago. It's a trane xc(e?)70. The pilot light is out, and it's just plain old not working. Do you have any advice for how to get it to work? I could wait until tomorrow and hope to find someone, but it's 60 degrees in the house and we've got five animals that are sensitive to temperature.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: HVAC
Answered in 1 minute by:
2/19/2016
HVAC Technician: BillyHvac, Journeyman HVAC Tech replied 2 years ago
BillyHvac
BillyHvac, Journeyman HVAC Tech

hello,

on the gas valve is a knob...do you see the labels..PILOT...OFF...ON?

I was very confused on how to reply. I got yours right away. Thank you.
I see a big blue knob with off and on, but i don't see the word Pilot on it.

ok,

this means it is automatic ignition. There is no pilot to light.

Once the thermostat asks for heat it lights on its own. I am afraid with this type system we would need a voltmeter to see where and why we are missing power

Oh, the filter was clogged and dirty, which i guess is why it quit to begin with. Changed it, and it didn't start working. I hear gas start running tgrough, but it doesnt ignite so it stops. Then it tries again maybe two minutes later.
Oh, ok. :( so i need to get someone out here, i guess?
HVAC Technician: airheatman, HVAC Technician replied 2 years ago
airheatman
airheatman, HVAC Technician

Do you see a model on furnace above burners on inside panel?

TUS080B936A0

Is there a control board on blower panel with an error light?

I'm afraid i don't know where either of those things is. I asked my housemate if there were any lights blinking, and she said she didn't see anything.

Take a quick look on the blower housing to see if there may be a resettable limit switch on the bottom of blower housing that will push in to reset.Often a dirty filter will cause the little button to pop out.

http://i.imgur.com/fpsjbG5.jpg

I have to go to sleep now, but if you can help me with the two pictures i sent...to see if theres a reset switch, id appreciate it.
tw

If you had one it should be on blower housing as in picture I sent.

Phil
Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer