Rick
Rick, HVAC Supervisor
Experience:  40+ yrs. experience as a licensed oil & gas technician.
94766

I have a flashing light, furnace motor cycles but the burner

Customer Question

I have a green flashing light, furnace motor cycles but the burner won't dick in. The light blinks three times.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so we can help you best.
Customer: the code on the panel says 3 flashes indicates a h
JA: Is there anything else important you think the HVAC Technician should know?
Customer: the code on the panels says 3 flashes indicates pressure switch open when it should be closed.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the HVAC Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

The draft pressure switch should close once the draft inducer fan (the small fan on the front that connected to the exhaust vent) is running. The question is do you have a bad switch or a weak fan or a blocked exhaust vent. You can check the vent for blockages and also the vac tubing connected to the switch. Be sure the tubing is not kinked, deteriorated or doesn't have water in it. You can also poke a paper clip into the port where the tubing connects but not into the switch connection. If all of that checks out the next thing we would do is put a manometer on the exhaust to check the actual draft pressure but you aren't likely to have a manometer and they are expensive so replacing the switch is one other option since it's less money than a manometer (or a new draft fan) and it is a likely culprit.