Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

Need to troubleshoot a single stage hybrid unit; Propane

Customer Question

Need to troubleshoot a Bryant single stage hybrid unit; Propane used as the E heat & after making several attempts, propane won't kick in and unit shuts down.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  HVAC Guru replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thanks for using this service, if you have been waiting do not worry or get upset I am just one of the techs on here and I try to get to as many customers as I can and I just picked up your question now. Please give me time to respond sometimes I get your replies late so there may be a delay in my response.

Does the ignitor glow and gas valve kick on?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
To give you a little more insight to the problem: 1) We have a Bryant 1-stage, hybrid system. 2) It is set, per installer, to utilize heat pump, until outside temperature drops below 35 degrees, & the heat pump can no longer bring home to desired temp. 3) at that point, the propane burning portion of the unit should kick in, i.e., the propane is set to function as E-heat. 4) If the propane portion does not kick in, after 3 attempts or so, the unit shuts off. If the outside temperature comes up above 35 degrees, you can reset the outside breaker for the unit & the heat pump will function, again, until temp drops. The installer/repair person has been out several times over the past several weeks, and can "somehow" force the propane unit to light & work short term; however, when the unit goes (due to increased outside temp) back to heat pump, the cycle described above repeats itself with propane not kicking in, when temp once again drops, as it should. THINGS THE HVAC PERSON HAS TRIED THUS FAR: 1) cleaned the unit twice & restarted each time, (& he reported according to code readings he did the following): replaced the burners, the orifices and the exchanger; each time, he restarted the unit & pronounced it fixed. His most recent visit, today, he advised he thought we should contact the propane company, since he suspected we had moisture in our tank. I called our supplier, Southern States, & explained the serviceman's thoughts. Southern states advised they put additive in each & every tanker of fuel they received & this would alleviate any problems related to moisture in any individual tank. The HVAC serviceman seems to be at a loss at this point & meantime, we are spending mega dollars trying to heat with kerosene space heater & small electric heaters. Where should we go from here?
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

Let me know if you still need help with this.If so check the following and let me know.

1.Will the furnace work in emergency mode"?

2.When the propane should take over does furnace attempt the sequence below:

Inducer vent motor comes on

Pressure switch closes

Igniter lights

Burners ignite

Main circulating blower comes on

If furnaces fails anywhere in the sequence we should get an error code by blinking lights on the control board. Turn power off and back on, then call for heat.tell me how far in that sequence it goes and what error code is on first failure We will go from here.