HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

Its 25 degrees where i live and i have three people over the…

Customer Question
Its 25 degrees where i...
Its 25 degrees where i live and i have three people over the age of 80. This morning i smell something that i thought it was burning but i checked everywhere and nothing. At 10 pm my daughter and i heard this screeching noise as the furnace was stopping and now at 3 am the smell came back. Should i turnoff the furnace?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: HVAC
Answered in 1 hour by:
2/16/2016
HVAC Technician: Daniel Plourde, HVAC Technician replied 2 years ago
Daniel Plourde
Daniel Plourde, HVAC Technician

Hi i am dan. I can help you with this. If you really need heat now you can leave the furnace on for now if it is still working. But the problem definitely should be investigated. It sounds like a problem with the blower motor to me. Do you have a model number and what type of furnace you have?

Bryant
I dont see a model or number
Are you still there?

The model number will be on the inside of the furnace. Is it a gas furnace?

Are you able to open the furnace to get the model number and check the blower?

The house is at 68 degrees and i just turned on the furnace again ... i dont feel any heat coming up.
Its making noise like wants to start but nothing happens

Ok in order to determine what the problem is it will require disconnecting and checking a few components. Is this something you think you will be able to do?

Hi Dan ... I was able to find a plumber that will review the furnace this morning. I appreciate your help but I can't do it myself.

Ok let me know if you have any questions about it