HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

Rick.. I have a Burnham Series 2 Gas Boiler and it's not…

Customer Question
Hi Rick.. I have a...
Hi Rick.. I have a Burnham Series 2 Gas Boiler and it's not keeping a flame after I hold down reset and light the pilot. The pilot lights but the second I release the reset button, it goes out. Any help is appreciated
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: HVAC
I've replaced the gas valve, néw thermocouple, am receiving 24 volts. Boiler was working today but wasnt heating past 62 degrees (with thermostat on 90). I went to reset it and since the pilot wont light
2/15/2016
HVAC Technician: Rick, HVAC Supervisor replied 2 years ago
Rick
Rick, HVAC Supervisor

Is the pilot flame strong? you gave it a minute or so to heat up before you released the button/dial?

Strong pilot flame and waited at least a minute.

How much of the thermocouple tip is in the pilot flame? did you use any pipe dope on the thermocouple connection at the gas valve?

No pipe dope used. About 3/4 tip is exposed.

Not clear on the last point. 3/4 of the tip is not in the flame?

3/4 tip not in flame, sorry.

Try moving the thermo up a bit so the top 1/3 is in the flame. Do you have a multi meter that can read DC milli volts?

Meter reads 27 volts
Thinking thermocouple may be issue... never used but has sat around in truck for a long time

Not what I asked. I asked if you a have a meter that can read mV ... milli volts

if not try another thermocouple

Can't read milli volts.

Ok, try another thermo

and/or try moving it up more into the flame but no more than 1/3 of the tip

Thank you, Rick. I appreciate the help. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Ok

Replaced thermocouple and still no-go. Will focus on position of flame and holding button longer.
Is there any built-in safety measure where things need to be done in a specific sequence in order for things to work?The setting is on pilot, the emergency switch is on off, electricity is on, thermostat is on 70, red button pressed and held down while pilot is lit... button held down for another 60-90 seconds. Button released and flame shuts off.What if emergency switch is on and/or thermostat is off

There's no sequence or device that should prevent the pilot from staying lit. Replacing the gas control valve and the thermocouple should allow you to light the pilot and have it stay lit. You've given me no indication as to why it shouldn't stay lit other than possibly the position of the thermocouple in the pilot flame. The system's electrical circuits play no role in lighting the pilot and keeping it lit. I'm assuming you have a simple thermocouple (no terminal block in it or connected to it at the gas valve). I don't recall ever seeing a pilot terminal block in a 2 series boiler and I've been installing and servicing them since this model was first introduced 3 decades ago.