HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

My furnace fan kicks on after reset (or if I force heat on…

Customer Question
My furnace fan kicks on...
My furnace fan kicks on after reset (or if I force heat on from thermostat) but heat never kicks in
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: HVAC
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
2/15/2016
HVAC Technician: airheatman, HVAC Technician replied 2 years ago
airheatman
airheatman, HVAC Technician

You should get an error code on control board in blower compartment indicating what has failed.Can you check and let me know pattern of flashing?

3 red flashes
It is green flashes the Once the blower starts it is 3 red flashes

OK this is telling us the pressure switch is not closing or staying closed.

This could be

caused by a number of problems: faulty inducer, blocked vent pipe, broken

pressure switch hose or faulty pressure switch.

How do you recommend I determine which? The vent pipe looks in good condition and did not see any blockage from the outside. I also don't hear any clicking on start. And although it sounds like it's burning there is no heat or light from the furnace.

1.If pressure switch is open, burners should not be on.

2.First lets make sure the small vent motor is coming on.

3.If so lets try this.

Next I want you to locate the pressure switch. It will be a small round canister with a hose attaching it to the inducer housing. Remove hose from inducer housing and leave it attached to the pressure switch. Power off and back on to reset board again, Then call for heat at thermostat. Allow inducer to start then suck on the end of hose still attached to pressure switch and see if switch will close and burners ignite.

I hear the small click, but I dont see any ignition.
No. I do not see anything glowing
Looks in good condition can send a picture if it helps

When sucking on hose still attached to switch do you still get error code?

D you have a meter to verify the switch contacts are closing?Either switch is bad or board is not reading it closed.

I do which contacts should I check.
The switch always seems open if if I try to close it by pulling air our

Sentence did not complete. Please explain

I put a resistance meter across the pressure switchs two terminals after removing the wires from the two terminals. Even when sucking air from the switch I could hear a click but did not see any change in resistance between the terminals.

OK looks like pressure switch is the problem You will need to replace it.