Andrew Smith
Andrew Smith, HVAC Technician
Experience:  City & Guilds Plumbing and Heating Engineer
46681511

My boiler ran out of oil, we have had it filled now but the

Customer Question

My boiler ran out of oil, we have had it filled now but the lock out light is on and i don't think it is even trying to fire up, although the water pump is pushing water thro
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Erm I am not a plumber just a mum, 🙄 I don't have a clue what I am doing 🙁
JA: OK got it. Last thing — HVAC Technicians generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can

continue our conversation. If you ran out of oil you do need to purge the air from the oil line. To do this you need a 3/8" (typically) open end wrench, a small container to catch the oil and a small piece of 1/4" od rubber tubing (the tubing isn't vital it just makes it a little easier). Locate the bleed fitting on the oil pump (on the left side of the oil burner where the oil line connects) it has a hex with a small hose barb protruding. Position your container directly below it. Loosen the hex. You will get a little oil and maybe a few bubbles. Now hit the reset button on the burner control and let it run until it’s a steady stream of oil (no bubbles). Tighten the hex back up and you're done. The burner should fire up once you close off the bleeder. You may need to hit the reset more than once. If your ignition control (the device with the reset button on the burner) is a R7184 then the control will go into a hard lockout if you push the reset more than twice. You need to hold the button down for at least 30 seconds to release the lockout.

Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

If this is something that you're not comfortable doing then you'll need to call a pro to help

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No that is fine what does the reset button look like and where might it be ?
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

I just noticed you are in the UK. I'm in the States so your equipment might be different than what I'm referring to. Can you give me a picture of your burner? click on ADD FILES next to the SEND button to post a pic here

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is hex under red round bit
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

Ok, this is not a burner config that we see in the States. So I need a better pic from you. The pic you posted is out of focus

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

Ok, I see the reset button on the ignition control (white button on the control box lower right) but I don't see a bleeder on the pump so I'm going to open this back up to my colleagues in the UK. Please don't respond even to acknowledge this post until we get back to you.

Expert:  Andrew Smith replied 1 year ago.

Is it making any attempt to start?