HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

Domestic hotwater is the priority zone but does not maintain…

Customer Question
Domestic hotwater is the priority...
Domestic hotwater is the priority zone but does not maintain the hotwater temp when heating goes down at night or is not called for. Takes several cycles of running hotwater to raise temperature. Weil McClain Gold plus 30 tank. Aguastat has been replaced & drywell is good.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: HVAC
2/15/2016
HVAC Technician: Daniel Plourde, HVAC Technician replied 2 years ago
Daniel Plourde
Daniel Plourde, HVAC Technician

Hi I am dan I can help you with this. The priority means that if the tank zone calls for heat then it will turn off the heating zones until the tank is satisfied. Are you having problems with the domestic water heating up or the boiler water?

Domestic hotwater temp is not maintained when heating is not called, overnight or when zones are not calling for heat. Takes several cycles of running domestic hot water to raise temp. New aquastat on W.M Gold plus30 has been installed.
System was fine until a few months ago.
Circulator s are fine

When the heat is calling is the temp fine? Is it just a problem when the heat is off? How old is the tank?

Sorry for the delay we lost our internet connection. Temperature is fine when one of the other zones are calling for heat. The tank is about ten years old. Drywell is fine, no moisture and thermostat was just replaced. Priority switch is on.

ok was the aquastat changed after the problem or did the problem start after the aquastat was replaced. Also what is the model number of the aquastat.

Was changed after the problem but did not fix the problem.

ok what is the model of the aquastat and the zone pannel?

Zone panel is aTaco E20B the boiler aguastat is a Honeywell dual aquastat type L4081B, the thermostat on the hot water tank is is a T100 30°C 70°C

ok the next thing i would look at is the zone panel. first thing i would try is switching the tank wires to one of the other zones and see if that helps the problem or if you get a problem with the zone you switch to the priority zone

That is going to take some time. Does it matter how fast I get back to you?

no i relize it will take some time to test that out. just reply back when you can. what we are testing is the zone board may be bad or maybey intermitent where is does not always bring the boiler on when the water heater calls but turns on the circulator