HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

, temp dropped last night, furnace is buzzing no…

Customer Question
Temp dropped last night...

Temp dropped last night, furnace is buzzing no heat

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: HVAC
temp dropped overnight.
woke up to no heat, on top of the furnace a buzzing noise is coming from the top of this part called the gvd??
2/14/2016
HVAC Technician: Tim H., HVAC Professional replied 2 years ago
Tim H.
Tim H., HVAC Professional

Hi, I'm Tim and I'm an HVAC expert here to help answer your question(s). Please provide all the information I ask for since I'm not onsite. At the end of our dialog you will be asked to rate my service, but please wait until then and all your question(s) have been answered satisfactorily. If you are not satisfied, I'd appreciate it if you'd tell me why before leaving a negative rating and allow me to continue to work with you until we are able to both agree on an outcome to follow. Thanks for your business!

What is the furnace make and model number? Are you getting any LED flash code?

Burnham series 2
No flashing I didn't take the cover off yet though

Do you have zone valves?

Not sure what that is

Single thermostat in the house or more than one?

Sorry I'm an idiot l
2 thermostats on the same floor

Are they both for heating?

only heat. No centra air

Do you have zone valves down near boiler? They may look like this. Sometimes a different brand may be used other than Honeywell.

2 of them

Take the cover off and see if the valve is open. The way you tell is to push the small lever over and if there is no resistance, then it's open. If you turn off that zone and the lever pushes with some resistance, then that valve is closed. Need to know if it's open or closed.

The cover off the furnace or the blue cap

Cover on zone valve. The one you sent me a picture of.

Ok sorry
They are both on auto? Not on/main

The temperature really dropped I'm in Staten Island , Nyc it's like 5 below

I understand your concerns since it's cold there. That's why I need you to do the things I mention so we can try and figure out what's going on.

Move the levers both to open

Now lets see if any heat starts coming up the pipe.

Tell me if the boiler kicks on.

Didn't kick on. Cap is still buzzing I don't see a pilot light on

Is your boiler electronic ignition or a standing pilot? Standing pilot would be the pilot on all the time.

That would be standing pilot. Do you know how to light pilot?

Not really
On the water tank it has a black pilot switch
Looking for a match

OK

I have regular matches.. Not long ones.
The pilot on the furnace not the water tank correct

The one on the picture I sent you. Blue arrow.

I got the pilot light on , still loud buzzing, and I didn't hear the furnace kick in yet

Did you turn valve knob to ON

lol

If pilot is lit and valve on, either you have a bad thermocouple or not calling for heat. Are the levers on zone valves still in the ON position instead of AUTO?

What about the buzzing?

Nothing to worry about. Zone valves do that sometimes.

Did you want to work further on this or can we close question out?

Your vent damper. Have all your questions been answered?

Let me know if you have additional questions on this. Otherwise, thank you for using Just Answer and please don't forget to rate my service as that's how experts get paid (Thanks in advance for any bonus left). Otherwise experts work at their own time and expense. Feel free to post back with any more questions.

Tim H.
Tim H.
Tim H., HVAC Professional