HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

Ran across a 2010 Trane unit with a TCONT803AS32DAA Trane…

Customer Question
Ran across a 2010 Trane...
Ran across a 2010 Trane unit with a TCONT803AS32DAA Trane thermostat. The customer would put it in heat mode, the unit would come on and almost immediately go into auxillary heat and the temp would fall. The condensor was tryng to run but would cycle on and off. Checked the charge, caps and verified it had high voltage. I am leaning toward a control board in the condensor.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: HVAC
2/14/2016
HVAC Technician: gotoman for ac, HVAC Technician replied 2 years ago
gotoman for ac
gotoman for ac, HVAC Technician

How long would it run before it cycled off. You checked charge was pressures ok in the heat mode. Russ

I was charged 28 dollars for this response?? So far, not satisfied at all.

Trying to respond to you. When it was running in heat what were pressures on the unit. Suction and head pressure. If the thermostat is set 3 to 4 degrees below set point the Aux heat will come on. I am a Trane dealer for 27 years I work on these everyday. Did you check true suction to see what suction pressure was doing. Russ

I have to ask you questions to get info for troubleshooting. Thanks

Looks like you posted question twice. Taconite803 is the same as the Honeywell Vision Pro 8000D. Be glad to continue with you. Russ

In heat mode the head pressure was above 100 at about 65 degrees ambient. In cool the pressures were 84/211 (410A). The unit came on in heat and ran about 3 minutes and cycled off. It tried to cycle back on in heat but kept shutting off (this is at the condensor). In auxillary heat the air handler ran but the temp at the plenum never got above 73 degrees.In cool the condensor never came on, had to manually energize the contactor in order to get those pressures. The problem is at the condensor but also concerned about the low temp in auxillary heat.

Seems low on gas to me. What model condenser and air handler are they using. Did you take an amp draw on electric heat. What KW is electric heat. Russ

If this is a Trane or American standard you can take left side panel off and check true suction and head pressure there. If head is running 100 psi in heat need to know what the suction is doing. Good info. Russ

Its a Trane, checked pressure at ports behind panel at condensor, suction pressure in heat was about the same. Never checked amps at heater which is a 10 kw. I actually added gas to it but did not want to overcharge.

10 KW should be putting out more heat unless its on a 4 ton unit. Should be a charging chart inside cover for charging in heating. Just cross inside dry bulb with outside dry bulb and that will get you close. Sounds low on refrigerant. Russ

Phil
Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer