HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

We live in a 2 bedroom condo in Naples FL. We got a whole…

Customer Question
We live in a 2...
We live in a 2 bedroom condo in Naples FL. We got a whole new system (including heating) put in October 28, 2015, compressor on the roof and air handler in the unit. We don't need or use the heating. System was working fine. Weather turned unusually cold. We turned off the AC. Then a series of sporadic clicking sounds started coming out of the closet with the air handler. The clicks usually were double, with some single clicks. They occur in groups, from 3 to 20. The clicks come about a second apart when they come. This happens perhaps 6 times in a day. We called in the installer, but it didn't click again until he left. He looked the system over but could find nothing wrong. He left, and within a couple of hours the clicking resumed. The sound is sharp, quite audible and very annoying. As I look at the unit, it seems to be coming from the right side. Incidentally, we have a digital thermostat. Any suggestions how to stop the clicking?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: HVAC
2/12/2016
HVAC Technician: HVAC Guru, HVAC TECH replied 2 years ago
HVAC Guru
HVAC Guru, HVAC TECH

Hello and thanks for using this service, if you have been waiting do not worry or get upset I am just one of the techs on here and I try to get to as many customers as I can and I just picked up your question now. Please give me time to respond sometimes I get your replies late so there may be a delay in my response.

That sounds like a bad relay contactor, that can happen and you can not fix that by any easy means. It will eventually fail. I would suggest recording it on your phone and playing it for him when you get him back out. Then you can show him what t is doing.

We are on the honor system for our time, all I ask is please rate my service using the STAR RATING SYSTEM on your page before you leave. If you are not happy with the service please let me know before leaving a negative rating. This is the only way I am paid or credited through the site for my time. This will also allow you to get directly back to me for FREE follow up questions and tips are greatly appreciated! Thanks