HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

I've got a bunrham boiler and the pilot light went out and…

Customer Question
Hi my name is*****...

Hi my name is***** got a bunrham boiler and the pilot light went out and won't re light... got any thoughts

Contractor's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

Well it just seemed to stop working out of no where. Earlier in the day I noticed that the temperature in one of the rooms was 7 degrees over the limit I set. I unpluged the wall thermostat and waited for the room to cool back down. Plugged the thermostat back in and went on my way. Hours later the wife complained it was way to cold in the house. I went down and checked the boiler and it was cold as ice. This morning I followed the operating instructions on how to light the pilot without any success.

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: HVAC
2/12/2016
HVAC Technician: Rick, HVAC Supervisor replied 2 years ago
Rick
Rick, HVAC Supervisor

You have a pilot that you light a match? The indicators on the gas valve dial are ON, OFF & PILOT?

Of course. I followed the directions on the unit.

I needed to be sure since your boiler could have electronic ignition. You could have a clogged pilot burner orifice or maybe a bad gas valve. You can check this by backing off the small brass nut where the pilot tubing connects to the gas valve then press the dial/button like you would to light the pilot. Do you smell gas there?

You will only have gas at that port while you hold the dial/button down

I loosened the tube and could smell the gas although it doesn't smell that strong. I than removed the tube and depressed the pilot and a lot of air came out but still just a slight smell of gas. Put it back together and still nothing

Ok, then you need to clean the pilot burner orifice. You do this by disassembling the pilot burner and passing a tiny wire (the hole is ~.010”) through the pilot orifice hole. You must do this even if you can see daylight through the hole. The pilot orifice is typically a small thimble shaped object that will either come out of the pilot burner when you remove the tubing at the pilot burner or it will stay in the pilot burner. You'll have to remove the burner the pilot is attached to in order to get to it. The burner slides off the manifold orifice. On some models there's a horseshoe type clip holding it in place. When you put the burner back be sure it goes in the slot at the back end of the boiler