HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

I have an older small app, 1400 foot hundred home and I was…

Customer Question
I have an older small...
I have an older small app, 1400 foot hundred home and I was told that I need a 3-ton unit because I have a lot of single -paned windows and I have a crawl space and i live in a very hot climate . Is this reasonable? Summers just kill me.
I had a quote for around $13,600 but I said that was too high that I would sign for 10,000 with an extended warranty with a Lennox model; 10 yr parts AND 10 year labor. Next day he said that his boss had installers who were upset that they were not working and if I could get it done by next Monday and Tuesday, I could get everything I wanted for $11,400. Is that shady or could it be true that his boss didn't want to lose his workers and was wiling to give me a break?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: HVAC
Answered in 1 hour by:
2/12/2016
HVAC Technician: Daniel Plourde, HVAC Technician replied 2 years ago
Daniel Plourde
Daniel Plourde, HVAC Technician

Hi i am dan I can help you with this. First a 3 ton system is probably big enough but it may be too big or too small. The proper way to determine that is by a whole house heat loss calculation to calculate the correct size system. This involves measuring the whole house all the windows doors and calculating the ducktwork and insulation and calculating it all in a computer program. I would be suspicious of any company that will just throw in a system that might be the right size and hope it's alright. Next why do you want lenox? In my opinion there are other manufacturers that offer better warranties and guarantees for less money and more reliable than lenox. The gimmick of trying to keep his guys busy is just that a sales gimmick. They want to try to rush you so you don't shop around and change your mind. Do not rush this at all. It is a very important decision and should not be rushed. Let me know if you have any more questions.

Did you have any other questions about this?

Daniel Plourde
Daniel Plourde
Daniel Plourde, HVAC Technician