HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

I have a oil fired domestic water heater with a carlin

Customer Question
burner that shuts down every...
I have a oil fired domestic water heater with a carlin burner that shuts down every couple of days and I don't know why, but starts right back up with no issue after hitting reset. It started after replacing a Manuel water shut off valve that leads from heater to house. The valve used to be soldered in I replaced it with a shark bite one
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: HVAC
Answered in 1 hour by:
2/11/2016
HVAC Technician: Rick, HVAC Supervisor replied 2 years ago
Rick
Rick, HVAC Supervisor

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

​Replacing a valve on the water line has nothing t do with burner function. It's just a coincidence that they happened at the same time. When was the last time the burner was tuned up?

Sounds like your burner needs a tune up. The most common cause for what you describe is electrode gap that's out of spec due to wear.

The last owner told me it was tuned up last November By a HVAC company

If you're a mechanic or adept in some related field we can take a crack at troubleshooting this. If not your best bet would be to call a burner service company to fix this.

I am a former mechanic and a current HVAC student. But I won't be in front of the burner until tomorrow morning but if you give me instruction I can perform the test and get back to you as soon as I complete them
But should I just try to tune it up first? maybe the former owner lied to me about it or whoever tuned it up never change the electrodes I went on information and didn't even bother checking that

Ok, sounds like you have the necessary skill set to do this. Just come back here when you're onsite and we can pick this up where we left off. Of course a less than truthful owner is always a possibility. A tune up involves replacing the nozzle (you'll need to see what the burner is using now) a new filter at the tank and maybe new electrodes (not always needed). I'll post some things you can try in the mean time.

Ok thanks

Here's the burner manual. Go to page 10 for info on how to remove the nozzzle assembly and the proper gap for the electrodes. Be sure to kill the power and shut off the firomatic valve at the burner first.

http://www.carlincombustion.com/download/instman/burners/residential/oil/mnez123.pdf?lbisphpreq=1

Also check the cad cell. Make sure it's clean and the socket is in good shape. You should also check/replace the filter at the tank. After you shut off the valve between the tank and the filter and replace the filter you need to bleed the air out of the filter via the bleed screw on top.

OK thank you I will do it tomorrow And I will let you know about the results

OK

Rick
Rick
Rick, HVAC Supervisor