HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

My furnace won't Ignite. The ignitor glows. It doesn't seem…

Customer Question
Hey. My furnace won't...
Hey. My furnace won't Ignite. The ignitor glows. It doesn't seem to be getting gad
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: HVAC
2/5/2016
HVAC Technician: airheatman, HVAC Technician replied 2 years ago
airheatman
airheatman, HVAC Technician

Sounds like you either have a gas pressure issue if igniter is lighting . Do you have a manometer or gas pressure gauge that reads pressure in inches of water column.?

No I dont

Do you have other gas appliances that are working properly?

Unless that is on the inlet to the home.
We do have a gas stove which is operational

1. Do you have a meter to verify we are getting 24v to valve when igniter lights?

2.Do you hear the valve click?

3.Do you smell any gas at all?

4. LP or Natural gas?

Natural gas. I don't smell any. There was a faint smell in the piping when I was replacing the valve which seems like that would be normal. I opened the box with the burners to see if I could smell any. I did not smell any there that is why it seems to me it is not getting gas. Should the valve click after or before the ignitor starts to glow?

Valve should click after igniter warms completely up. Do you have a volt meter to verify the 24v to valve?

I don't have one but I can go to home Depot and check.
I just had my hand on the valve no click
Do I trace those wires back to the main control board?
OK and if I don't get the voltage there I maybe got a bad board out of the box?

That is correct.Board should automatically send voltage to valve after a preset time (Usually 17 to 20 seconds) after igniter starts to glow.

Alright I will go get a meter that reads ac

Let me know what you find.

One more question. After a valve is replaced will it sometimes take a few attempts to light or should that light on the first try?
Suddenly it fired up and now is firing on a consistent basis.

May have had air in gas line then.

If you have further questions, please let me know.

Thanks for letting me work with you.If my answer has been polite, professional,and thorough, please click one of the ratings now. If you still need help let me know!.Expert is not paid for assisting you until you rate answer.Feel free to follow up for 30 days at no additional cost. Bonus always appreciated if you feel justified.

To rate my service please select one of the rating stars on this page.