HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

Indoor blower not working

Customer Question
indoor blower not working
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: HVAC
Answered in 1 minute by:
2/4/2016
HVAC Technician: Tim H., HVAC Professional replied 2 years ago
Tim H.
Tim H., HVAC Professional

Hi, I'm Tim and I'm an HVAC expert here to assist you with your questions. Please provide all information I request as it makes it more difficult to troubleshoot something when I'm not there onsite. Essentially, you become my eyes and ears. Thanks for the opportunity to help. At the end of our dialog, you will have a chance to rate my service, but please wait until we are finished and you're satisfied you have all the information you need. Please be patient as many times we work with several customers at once.

I understand you are having blower issues. Can I get more information such as furnace make and full model number? What checks have you done yourself so far?

it is a Carrier model #: Fx4DNF087T00. I tried turning on the heat an the cooling with the fan set to ON not AUTO, and the blower inside of the indoor unit (upstairs if that matters) will not turn on. The cooling system is running (i.e. it gets cold, it froze over when I let it run too long) but the blower will not run

Does the blower wheel turn freely if you reach in and spin it with power off?

with the thermostat turned on I tried forcibly turning the blower and it would turn while I rotated it but it would not continue turning
I checked the safe switch (the one that prevents it from running if the condensation cannot escape), but it was dry. I suctioned out the condensation output pipes outside, and I checked the voltage running from the red line to the ground in the thermostat and it was about 24 V
The filter is reasonably new, it has a little bit of dust but even with the filter removed the fan does not come on

Is this a standard blower or ECM?

whats ECM?
I dont know

It is a different kind of blower, slightly larger in size than a standard blower and it has smaller wires.

I think it is standard
the blower is about the size of a basketball and the wires are normal sized wires

If it's a standard blower, it is either a bad board or a bad motor and is confirmed by measuring voltage

ok
I have a multimeter

A picture would help me determine type of blower you have if you could upload one.

will do, hold on
I also don't see a circuit board, just the wires and connectors at the top of the picture

That looks like an ECM motor. Troubleshooting these is much more complex, but on pages 10.11, and 12 of this manual it walk you through some things to check. If you want to troubleshoot yourself, I recommend going through these checks.

http://dms.hvacpartners.com/docs/1009/public/0c/sm-fancoil-05.pdf

Specifically a section : Motor will not start

it looks like they're saying I should remove all of the wires from the thermostat and check each one individually

Not seeing anything about the thermostat. But it does start out with checking all molex connections and checking the 5 amp fuse.

The fuse looks like the connection in the middle is still complete and I pushed the connectors in so I think they are not the issue. The part I was looking at is halfway down the page on the right side of p. 11
that's what I was talking about. I looked at the fuse and it looks intact, and I checked the connectors to make sure they are seated

OK, well you need to go through all the checks they indicate to troubleshoot. This may take a while.

I have to leave for a bit, but will check back later.

how do i end the conversation?
it won't let me end the conversation so I'm assuming that means that you need to do it. So could you please conclude the conversation, I do not want to take it any further.