Rick
Rick, HVAC Supervisor
Experience:  40+ yrs. experience as a licensed oil & gas technician.
94766

I am replacing a basic mercury thermostat with a honeywell

Customer Question

I am replacing a basic mercury thermostat with a honeywell digital thermostat. There are only two wires, both white, but one has a red line on it. Is that one R and the other W?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: No, just that the connectors on the old thermostat were not labeled.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — HVAC Technicians generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

If you only have 2 wires it's not critical which wire you connect to either R or W but I would suspect the lead with the red line would be the red/R lead.