HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

I have a ***** ***** 398AAV036060 AAKA natural gas furnace.

Customer Question
I have a *****...

I have a ***** ***** 398AAV036060 AAKA natural gas furnace. Secondary heat exchanger is cracked. It has an input of 66,000 BTU and an 90% AFUE. I will probably not be able to find parts? So the AHS warranty will probably pay me $ to replace the unit. What is a fair cost? What is a recommended equavalent unit and what would be fair cost? I live in Bethesda, MD 20814. Thanks, bob

Contractor's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

What is a typical repair cost on a secondary heat exchanger?

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: HVAC
2/1/2016
HVAC Technician: airheatman, HVAC Technician replied 2 years ago
airheatman
airheatman, HVAC Technician

Bob your best bet is going to be replace furnace. You should be able to replace with a comparable furnace for between 1500 and 1800 with 20 year warranty on new heat exchanger and 10 years all other parts. Are you set on going with Carrier if you replace?

the AHS warranty will probably pay me $ to replace the unit. What is a fair cost for them to reimburse me?
Here is what the contract says " AHS may also offer you the option of accepting cash in lieu of repair or replacement services in an amount based on what AHS would ordinarily expect to pay for parts and labor for covered items, an amount that is usually less than retail cost or your actual cost."

Bob I would expect they will pay close to the cost of the furnace.The cost for the heat exchanger replacement will be close to cost of replacing furnace due to labor involved.Not sure if you have a deductible or not.

Can you please advise on an equivalent recommended unit? I do not need Bryant. I could be another maker. Thoughts?
I do not have a deductible, so I want to ensure they offer me fair compensation. Here is the second part of the contract "APPLIANCE NOTE: AHS will pay up to $3,000 for any required replacement of any covered Appliance, unless otherwise noted. Customer is responsible for payment of any costs in excess of $3,000 for any required replacement of an Appliance."

I have found that usually when costs to replace vs cost to repair exceed about 60%, they would rather replace as they know they will not have to cover it again for at least 20 years since manufacturer warranty wlil cover any problems.

Hi Just for your knowledge: The Heater Repair Supervisor was just here. American Home Service authorized the repair and parts for the cracked secondary heat exchanger. They offered me $1900 as an inducement for a new furnace. Then they gave me an estimate of $4774 to replace the furnace which includes the $1900 off. The furnace they want to sell me is American Standard, 60,000 BTU, 95% AFUE. If I use an external HVAC Company American Home Shield will give me $300 cash return. I have scheduled another company to give me a quote and will decide on a new furnace ($4800) vs. repair ($0 cost)

Sounds like AHS is trying to rip you off. American Standard , built by Trane does not advertise prices online but to give you an idea of the wholesale cost here is a link to one on Ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/AMERICAN-STANDARD-AUH3B060ACV3VA-60-000-BTU-3-STAGE-UP-HORIZ-GAS-FURNACE-95-/361266961813

This is about what the furnace sells for wholesale, so basically they are not giving you crap.

Feel free to share this conversation with AHS.

If you have further questions, please let me know.

Thanks for letting me work with you.If my answer has been polite, professional,and thorough, please click one of the ratings now. If you still need help let me know!.Expert is not paid for assisting you until you rate answer.Feel free to follow up for 30 days at no additional cost. Bonus always appreciated if you feel justified.

To rate my service please select one of the rating stars on this page.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/American-Standard-80K-BTUH-95-High-Efficiency-Gas-Furnace-AUH3B060ACV3VA-/252263353342?hash=item3abc114bfe:g:Y4IAAOSwWnFWBBns

Tell them give you the 1900 and let you have it installed.