HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

I had a leaking t&p valve which I replace about 4 months ago…

Customer Question
Ken, I had a...

Ken, I had a leaking t&p valve which I replace about 4 months ago because it had corroded and was leaking from vave, now the one I have installed is running water out discharge pipe at a pretty good stream. Will replacing valve again solve my problem?

Contractor's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

The water is running out of the discharge line to the outside of house, no leaks from valve inside at tank, I've cut water temp down on heater but water still continue to run out of pipe. Will replacing valve again stop this problem or is it more serious, the water heater was installed in 2007.

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: HVAC
2/1/2016
HVAC Technician: Rick, HVAC Supervisor replied 2 years ago
Rick
Rick, HVAC Supervisor

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

You'll probably need to replace the relief valve again but you have an underlying problem. You unit is either running at excessive temp or pressure. Since these valves almost never release on temp (the water would have to be near 200 for it to dump on temp) it's likely dumping on pressure. So you need to install a thermal expansion tank. When the water in the tank heats up it expands. If the water pressure is too high to start with or you have a check valve on the water main then the pressure rise can be excessive and the relief valve will dump. So you need a thermal expansion tank to absorb the excess pressure. You must use an expansion tank that's made for water heaters not for hot water heating systems.

Rick
Rick
Rick, HVAC Supervisor