Rick
Rick, HVAC Supervisor
Experience:  40+ yrs. experience as a licensed oil & gas technician.
94766

In an Oil Burner, we accidently put 3 gallons of gasoline,

Customer Question

Good Morning In an Oil Burner, we accidently put 3 gallons of gasoline, can I now mix 300 gallons of heating oil in the tank and will this work safely.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

Assuming you put the 3 gallons of gas into the oil tank and then added 300 gallons of #2 fuel oil that should sufficiently dilute the gas so it's not a problem. Residential oil burner can burn both #2 fuel oil (what's commonly sold as heating oil) and #1 fuel oil (kerosene) which is a lighter distillate. While not an exact analogy by adding 1% of gasoline to your heating oil you're essentially "lightening" the viscosity of the oil. But you must dilute the gas before running the burner. Firing undiluted gasoline would be danergous