HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

I live in a condo. My Main Bathroom and Laundry room are…

Customer Question
Hello, I live in a...
Hello, I live in a condo. My Main Bathroom and Laundry room are exhausted by a fan driven by a motor. The motor does not seem strong enough. The specs are as follows:
Rotom Motor
TEAO
V115
HZ 60
Amp 1.21
PH 1
CPN:M3-R216 - Rotation CCW
LR 34751
E 58977
RPM 1550 - 1/1550
Body 3.0
Frame 4.1
Shaft 2.4 x 1/2
Bearing Sleeve
Mounting S.S
What motor can I replace my existing one with so it will exhaust more because now I get a build up hot moist air and Mould is starting to grow on my ceiling?
Thanks for the advice in advance
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: HVAC
1/31/2016
HVAC Technician: Mike G., Master Electrician replied 2 years ago
Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician

Hi, I'm Mike G and I'll be assisting you. Let me first ask, how far is the venting from the fan to the exterior? The length of the run makes a major reason for lack of air flow.

Hi Mike, It's between 25-30 feet in total. From the main bathroon to the fan its about 10 feet then 15 feet to the exterior.
The fan is located in the laundry room ceiling which is in between the main bathroom and exterior wall.

That is an excessive distance for venting. Is there a closer location for the exit of the venting?

No there is not a closer exit for the vent
It's an apartment condo so the vent exit is fixed and cannot be changed. Perhaps we need a stronger motor?

I'm going to opt out and put your question in the HVAC catagory. Your situation requires an air flow calculation to size the cfm required.

Will someone else contact me?
Okay, but where do I go to see the solution. Where is HVAC catagory?

Just stand by and an HVAC expert will take your question. Heating Ventilation Air Conditioning.

Thank you
HVAC Technician: airheatman, HVAC Technician replied 2 years ago
airheatman
airheatman, HVAC Technician

Do you have an actual model on the exhaust fan assembly? Is that one of numbers above?

M3-R216 is the rotom model number.
The rotom motor model number (I mean)
HVAC Technician: Rick, HVAC Supervisor replied 2 years ago
Rick
Rick, HVAC Supervisor

Perhaps I can help. The problem you describe is fairly common and so is a possible solution. Unless the bathroom is (very)large most bathroom exhaust fans will do the job. The problem is that folks expect the fan to evacuate the moisture in the room with the door closed. The only way an exhaust fan (even a much larger capacity fan) can move the air in the room out is by drawing more air in. If the only place the fan has to pull air from is a very small (or no) gap under a closed door then it can't do its job very well if at all. So if the door is left partially open or the gap under the door is bigger then the fan can draw enough air into the bathroom so it can get the too moist air in the room out. If the fan still doesn't work even with the door wide open then you'll need to install a larger capacity fan. Just putting a bigger motor in the fan (if you could find one that fit) won't solve the problem.

We have 3 showers in the morning and the dryer seems like it's always on.... we do about 11 - 13 loads of laundry a week. After our showers the door is always left open and in the main bathroom pink mould has started to form. The fan is left on 100 percent of the time.When you say a larger capacity fan. What does that mean? Larger blades?

Yes, a fan with a higher capacity fan which means bigger fan and motor. One other thing to check before you replace this fan; is it possible the vent is blocked? are you sure there is air coming out of the vent termination outdoors?

We vacuum the vent to ensure no lint build up but I can't be sure the air is exiting the exterior.

It's not uncommon for water to get trapped in the vent which blocks the air flow. This is particularly a problem when plastic dryer vent hose is used instead of metal vent piping. The vent hood termination outdoors usually has a flapper that will blow open if air is moving. If your's has a flapper and you can see it but it doesn't move then you could have a blocked vent. If that's the case you need to address that first. it may even solve the problem.

My bathroom ceiling was dripping with water yesterday from the dryer being on....
I checked the plastic dryer hose... it only travels 2 feet before a metal pipe...and was clear. there was a screen installed made out of plastic window screen material before the motor which had a half inch of lint. I took out the screen. And I'll check the exterior
Checked the exterior flap from the inside... it is clear and moves a freely when I push on it. ..with the fan on it blows but the strength seems low...
What can I do now?

Since you've determined that the vent is open your next step would be to install a bigger exhaust fan but it also sounds like your dryer is not vented properly. The dryer should put no moisture in the room if it's vented proeprly

Based on the motor specs above and condo configuration, would you know roughly what the cost would be? I know its difficult to answer but perhaps a range....

The motor specs above don't tell me what I need to know. I need the size of the room and also need to know where you live since labor costs vary quite a bit around the country. I also need to know is the fan buried in the ceiling?

What size pipe is currently connected to this fan? And is it possible to run larger if needed?And what is model on the actual exhaust fan (Not motor)?