HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

My Mom has had a Trane model TDD1B080A9361AC installed. It…

Customer Question
My Mom has had a...
My Mom has had a Trane model TDD1B080A9361AC installed. It is in a closet with a gas water heater. Installer says for her to install 20" X 20" grate in door for proper ventilation. Competing HVAC installer says that isn't enough ventilation. The closet they are in is probably 4' X 6' or so.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: HVAC
1/31/2016
HVAC Technician: Rick, HVAC Supervisor replied 2 years ago
Rick
Rick, HVAC Supervisor

You need 2 openings of at least 120 square inches (10" x 12") each. One within 12" of the ceiling the other within 12" of the floor. The best option would probably be to just install a louvered door. But the space these open onto must have at least 6,000 cubic feet of open space or the air must come from outdoors. This is according to code requirements