HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

My name is ***** ***** and I have an issue with my payne…

Customer Question
Hi, my name is...

Hi, my name is ***** ***** and I have an issue with my payne heat pump. An issue i'm pretty sure I caused. I wanted to temporarily run a new thermostat line to change the location (room) of the t-stat. I did the splice in the air handler... I can only assume that I did not get the wires put back exactly right because it is not working

Contractor's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

Let me know what else you'd like to know. Thank you very much for helping me.

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: HVAC
Answered in 1 hour by:
1/31/2016
HVAC Technician: gotoman for ac, HVAC Technician replied 2 years ago
gotoman for ac
gotoman for ac, HVAC Technician

Russ here. What is exact problem. Russ

Howdy Russ. The problem is that I tried to run a new thermostat wire for my heat pump. I did this in the air handler and all I can imagine is that I somehow didn't hook the new wire in quite right because it does not work now.
Going to the outside unit from the air handler I have a Blue, Red, yellow, orange, white. The blue goes to the black in the outside pump.
Between the t-stat and air handler I have red, yellow, orange, green, blue.
In the handler, yellow and orange pass through. Green from T-stat goes to gray fan wire. Blue from t-stat and outside are connected to Brown in the handler.
Red from the t-stat and outside are connected to red in the handler. White from outside is connected to white in the handler.

That is correct. If you have problem with low voltage you may have blown a fuse on fan board. Open panel to blower Look inside upper right board. 5 amp fuse check to see if blown. 5 amp auto type. Russ

I will behave till 10 CDT. Russ

I only saw one fuse inside the attic unit, but I'll look specifically near the blower.

This on the fan board. Yellow 5 amp fuse. It is just above where the wires that you connected thru thermostat. Russ

Ok, I can only find one fuse, Russ... I did this though, let me know what you think... I connected the Red and Green wire, the blower started in the handler. I touched the red/orange/yellow and had clear sign of contact and the multi dropped to zero.I then went to the thermostat and turned the fan ON, and the cool ON. The System light on the Trane Weathertron Xl500 came on and the fan came on in the attic. I ran outside with a flashlight and the outside unit was lifeless, returned back in and the system light was off on the thermostat but the blower still on.I've now turned it back to Off/Auto...- Jason

Jason this is an older unit correct. Russ

Your question said Pane heat pump. Russ

Honestly it's probably "only 4 years old" but it was replaced shortly after we purchased the home under the "home warranty". So, it's never been a very solid unit, and I've always had my questions about his general quality.

Turn unit to emergency heat and see if it works. Russ

Nada, same result

No white wire from W2/Aux on thermostat. Russ

Send photo of wires on thermostat and wires in air handler. Russ

Sent, thanks
image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg
Understand you are done for the night soon, we can pickup later when that happens. Fortunately a nice night here.

Yes just about done here. If you have an extra wire at thermostat you can connect to X2 terminal and have emergency heat. Take it up again tomorrow. Russ

Hi Russ, any thoughts on how to troubleshoot further?

Check to see if outside breaker is tripped.

Near the outside unit? I will go check...
They look fine, I tripped and reset for good measure. Uploading pic of box
In the outside unit as shown in the pictures I mean
Ok, update. If I connect the red and yellow in the outside unit directly it comes on. If I do the same by jumping the thermostat terminals Y to R it also comes on. If I put the cover back on the thermostat and turn it to cool, the outside does NOT come on, but as I was standing by it I heard a click. Testing in the outside shows 0v between the R and O, but 28v between the R and Y.So, I can make the outside come on from the outside and from jumping at the thermostat, but turning the thermostat to cool seems to turn on the heat pump valve but not the compressor.

Ok. you bypassed thermostat by jumping wires at thermostat. Reinstalled thermostat and does not work. Bad thermostat. Need to replace it. Russ