HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

Thanks here. We just changed the flame sensor and the

Customer Question
Hello, Thanks for being...

Hello, Thanks for being here. We just changed the flame sensor and the furnace just cycles and the burner will not fire up.

Contractor's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

The furnace will cycle and there is a clicking noise and it just turns on like it wants to start but the burners will not fire up

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: HVAC
1/30/2016
HVAC Technician: Rick, HVAC Supervisor replied 2 years ago
Rick
Rick, HVAC Supervisor

What is the brand and model number of your furnace?

Armstrong ultra 80

Ok, I don't have access to Armstrong specs. I'm going to open this up to my colleagues so one of them can help. Please don't respond (even to acknowledge this post)until you get a response from us. If you respond first it will only delay your answer.

HVAC Technician: Tim H., HVAC Professional replied 2 years ago
Tim H.
Tim H., HVAC Professional

Hi, I'm Tim and I'm an HVAC expert here to assist you with your questions. Please provide all information I request as it makes it more difficult to troubleshoot something when I'm not there onsite. Essentially, you become my eyes and ears. Thanks for the opportunity to help. At the end of our dialog, you will have a chance to rate my service, but please wait until we are finished and you're satisfied you have all the information you need. Please be patient as many times we work with several customers at once.

Did you still need help with this? Do you have access to a voltmeter and know how to use?

We have gone through the check list and we believe it is the flame sensor. So we ordered it and will replace it on Thursday

If the burners are not even coming on at all, it would not be the flame sensor.

Oh ok they are not. What would be the problem please

You say the hot surface ignitor comes on, correct?

When you turn it on the only thing that happens is clicking sound by the flame sensor

Your furnace has a hot surface ignitor, correct? An element that glows bright orange and lights the burners?

I would like for you to talk to my grandpa he knows what is going on with it although it is in my house how can I have you to connect I will pay but he is not with me now

Just post back here whenever he is available to chat.

no our furnace does not have a hot surface ignitor. there is no bright orange element that lights the burners. it only has a flame sensor with an ignitor.

If there is no bright orange glow, it could be that your HSI (hot surface ignitor) is burned out (very common). This would also explain the click you're hearing and no burners lighting.

Can you take a clear picture of the wiring diagram on the unit and upload here?

Yes, so this tells me you have spark ignition. And you are getting no spark? Does the inducer motor (small motor at the top of furnace) start on a call for heat?

there is no spark. and yes the inducer motor starts when we turn on the furnace.

Get your self a voltmeter, set to "volts AC" and put one probe on 24v (GND) and the other on 24 V on ignition module. Turn on heat and shortly after inducer motor start, we should see 24 volts AC. Let me know what you find.

i am not currently able to check the voltage right now. I am not at the location where the furnace is and will not be able to check it out in person until Thursday. Would it be possible to continue this conversation on Thursday when I have access to the furnace?

Yes, that will be fine.

okay thank you for your help so far. I will talk to you thursday.

great!

Phil
Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer