HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

Are you there still
, Trying to install a hunter

Customer Question
Are you there still...

Are you there still

Contractor's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

Trying to install a hunter programable 44860 air conditioner works but when put to heat ir blows handler fuse

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: HVAC
1/30/2016
HVAC Technician: Brian HVAC Guy, HVAC Technician replied 2 years ago
Brian HVAC Guy
Brian HVAC Guy, HVAC Technician

Hi I'm Brian and I'm here to help!

If this wasn't happening with the old thermostat, it sounds like there may be a wire or two wired to the wrong terminal on your new Hunter stat. I'll need a little more info to help you get this corrected. Can you tell me the make and model of your old thermostat and what color wire went to what terminals on the old stat please?

Thanks,

Brian

THe old thermostat was the same as the new one I am trying to install. It is a Hunter 44860. I have tried to call them and they were unable to resolve.

I will still need to make sure your thermostat is wired up right. A wire to terminal explanation will help with that. It's also possible there is two wires that are touching that shouldn't be, perhaps the wire insulation got nicked or something similar. Check the wiring carefully that the wire insulation is intact and no wires are touching that shouldn't be.

Right now the wiring is as follows Y1-yellow w2-white G-green RH-red+jumper to RC/r C-Blue O-orange e-brown. THe unit works normally in air conditioner mode but whe switched to heat it blows the air handler fuse. THe unit is a Trane XE1000

That all sounds correct although I can't be sure what that brown wire on E is all about but that may be ok too. So this is exactly how the old Hunter was wired and it worked ok until the thermostat failed?

I checked all the wires for damage and the connections seem tight. I opened the air handler electric panel and inspected the wires out there. Unless its in the wall the wires look good to me. I cant smell anything that would indicate a short or burning
The brown wire is connected to terminal labeled emergency heat. Down to one fuse and will have to get more
HVAC Technician: gotoman for ac, HVAC Technician replied 2 years ago
gotoman for ac
gotoman for ac, HVAC Technician

Remove brown from E and just put a jumper to [email protected] to E. Tape off brown and retry. Russ

I am Sorry E to W2 terminal tape off brown, Russ

Ok, your instructions had [email protected], I assume that is w2 which already has the white wire connected right

You will need a jumper fromW2 to E after you remove the brown wire for emergency heat to work. Russ

I did try your suggestion and removed brown wire and jumped W2 to E. Good news no blown fuse, bad news, neither handler or heat pump engaged. I also tried disconnecting white, green, and red wires and wire nutting them together. Same results. Completely confused now