HVAC

Have HVAC Questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for Answers

HVAC

I have a Honeywell rth230b thermostat and it is not heating

Customer Question
My name is Jennings....
My name is Jennings. I have a Honeywell rth230b thermostat and it is not heating my house. If I remove the thermostat and reinstall it on the wall the heat comes on for a minute but then shuts off. It was working last week but switched to A/C for a day because the temp was warm outside. Once i switched it back to heat...it does not want to work
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: If I wiggle the thermostat...the heat kicks in briefly but will not stay on. The house temp is below the temp set on the thermostat.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — HVAC Technicians generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: HVAC
1/29/2016
HVAC Technician: airheatman, HVAC Technician replied 1 year ago
airheatman
airheatman, HVAC Technician

Lets do this. Remove wires from thermostat wires from thermostat.Touch red and white and see if heat comes on and stays on.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
If I touch those wires toget her the heat comes and stays on.

If thermostat has batteries lets replace them

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Replaced the batteries and the thermostat still isn't working correctly

OK at this point it appears thermostat has taken a power spike.We have tried all of the tricks to reset based on manufacturer's suggestions.At this point, since thermostat will not respond it will be necessary to replace, but before you do, there is one trick I have seen work to reset these digital thermostats that works sometimes. That is to remove batteries and install them backwards for 5 seconds, Then remove and install properly,If this does not reset the little computer board in the thermostat you will need to replace the thermostat.

Note: Occasionally , this will not work and will even cause thermostat to start smoking.If so simply remove batteries.If thermostat is not working already, it is worthless anyway, so no harm done .I have seen it work about 20 per cent of the time. So if that is something you are comfortable doing would try it.Could save you having to buy another thermostat.Otherwise, just go ahead and replace it.

Phil
Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer