HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

, My heater will ignite when I first turn it on but…

Customer Question
My heater will ignite...

My heater will ignite when I first turn it on but will not reignite when it needs to, to continue warming the house. So I wake to a freezing house every morning. Some days it will work fine all day and then some time in the middle of the night it will just quit reigniting. But, the fan will continue to blow all night

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: HVAC
Answered in 1 hour by:
1/26/2016
HVAC Technician: airheatman, HVAC Technician replied 2 years ago
airheatman
airheatman, HVAC Technician

Look in burner compartment for model number.It will be above burners on either right or left inside panel.

Give me model and then look in blower compartment and see if we have a blinking light on control board. If so what is pattern of blinking when furnace should be on but isn't.

Model # ***** G23Q2/3-75-1
I'm not home at the moment to look at the control board. The heater didn't work all night or all morning. I turned it completely off when I got home at lunch, let it stay off for almost an hour then turned it on again before I left to come back to work. My brother is at my house right now and is saying that it is working at the moment. But I'm about 100% sure it will quit working by the end of the evening. Its being quite temperamental...

I understand.This unit may not have any lights . But if you have ammeter we should be able to troubleshoot when it fails.Below is a flow chart showing us what to check in what sequence when it fail.If you have a meter, let me know when it fails and we will take it step by step .

Should say volt meter not ammeter.

I don't have a volt meter. I am a single mom with no tools.. lol I may be able to find someone that has one, though

You can get an insexpensive one at Walmart for about 20 bucks if you want to troubleshoot.I help a lot of women troubleshoot and they are often amazed at themselves when we are finished.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Digital-Multimeter-10709/14521541

Ok. Well since it usually only quits working over night, I cant really message back to troubleshoot in the super early AM hours. So, I will have to try it tomorrow at lunch time probably.

Just let me now.May be a limt switch or pressure switch opening

Ok, So I can just get back on here tomorrow and message you or respond to the texts that I keep getting every time u respond?

That is correct.Just come back to question when ready

Ok.. Thank you

No problem