HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

Trane xv90 Replaced inducer and control board with kit

Customer Question
#16582 on Dec 31st 2015...
Trane xv90 Replaced inducer and control board with kit #16582 on Dec 31st 2015. Unit stopped running on 1-20-16. Inducer blower would not switch on. Internal error code. Just replaced with another board and inducer. Inducer starts, ramps up and then shuts down before the igniter engages. Error code 3 flashes. Bypassed pressure switches with same results
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: HVAC
I have cleaned all the tubes and fittings as well
1/26/2016
HVAC Technician: heatncoolrepair, HVAC Technician replied 2 years ago
heatncoolrepair
heatncoolrepair, HVAC Technician

Hi there, can you tell me what error code 3 means? I believe this is the trane upgrade kit with a new AC inducer and control board? I've replaced a half dozen or so of these.

Draft pressure error.
a. Venting problem
b. Pressure switch problem
c. Inducer problem.Venting is good

I don't believe you can just bypass the pressure switches on this furnace and fake the circuit board out. If you are getting a pressure switch fault code, as I have too before on these, I would make sure the inducer is draining. Pull the little 90 degree hose adapter off the bottom of the inducer and see if water drains out. If it does, then the adapter is plugged and needs to be cleaned out with a little pipe brush. That little 90 degree adapter always plugs up.

There is no water as the unit has not had time to run. The drain is clear.

Also make sure to clean out the trap and drain hoses really good too.

Trap and hoses are clear
Resistance across both switches is 1 ohm or less

if everything is clear, then it is a matter of checking to see if you are getting enough pressure to close the pressure switches. Do you have a manometer and are you familiar with checking pressures?

Also, is the inducer sealed up in the back or have a gasket?

Other things you can try are to run it with the exhaust pipe disconnected or the cover off the burner compartment to see if that closes the pressure switches and fires up.

I do not have a manometer.. I have blown into the tube and heard the switches close while the inducer is ramping up, but it still shuts down before the igniter starts
I have run it with the burner cover off

and it still does not kick on with the burner cover off? Also, have you checked the roll out switches on the burner or the hi-limit?

Sealed inducer with RTV as suggested in install manual
Is roll out No or NC. High limit is new

sounds like you have done everything correct. roll out should be NC

I will re-check and get back to you. Have to run out to a Boy Scout meeting. I will get back to you ASAP. Thanks.

2" or 3" venting?

ok, how long before you return?

If you have a reverse flow switch on this furnace, like on figure 22 of the instructions, check to make sure that is also NC. If all these things check out, I would also check to make sure all the pressure switch hoses are tight on the fittings. If not, snip the ends off each of the hoses and reattach them. Also, blow through them to make sure they are not plugged. If that all checks out, then you need to check what kind of pressure you are getting with a manometer. If the pressures are good, replace the pressure switches, if they are bad, then check your furnace installation manual to make sure your venting is the correct size and length, and make sure there are no obstructions in the piping.

I have to go. If you are happy with my service tonight, please don't forget to rate me. Have a good night.