HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

I have a lennox hot shot in my fathers garage. it was

Customer Question
I have a lennox...

I have a lennox hot shot in my fathers garage. it was working then just stopped. It's getting gas. The led flashes slow and constant. I know this mean that it is calling for heat, but will not come on. I've replaced the therom, but still not working.

Contractor's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

Yes thank you

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: HVAC
1/24/2016
HVAC Technician: airheatman, HVAC Technician replied 2 years ago
airheatman
airheatman, HVAC Technician

What is model on heater?

On most of these Lennox units, the slow flash means we have power but thermostat is not calling for heat. Try connecting the thermostat wires from heater together and see if it will come on.We will go from here.

All I know is its a Lennox hotshot

I've connected the wires from the heater and it does come on.

OK problem is in thermostat then. Tell me model on thermostat and how you have it wired.

Ok if you touch this R and W at thermostat and heater will come on but not when wires are connected and calling for heat on thermostat, the thermostat is defective.

Did you connect the wires here or at heater? You may have a break in wire in between

I disconnected the wires from the thermo and connected them.

That is what I thought. That tells us thermostat must be the issue .

I just bought it. I'll replace tomorrow. Will there be any damage to heater if we leave the wires connected.

Do you have the fan switch on thermo in AUTO position?

It's in the on position

That is a universal thermostat that can be used with a normal central system I have seen it cause an issue . Just for fun lets put fan in Auto and see if it makes a difference. Really should not since we don't have a wire connected to G but I have seen it do so.

No different unit still comes on.

I meant reconnect wires to thermostat and see if we could thermostat to bring it on.

Ha ha when connecting the wires to thermo I discovered I did not remove a protective cover. Once I removed this it worked like it should. Thank you for your time.

If you have further questions, please let me know.

Thanks for letting me work with you.If my answer has been polite, professional,and thorough, please click one of the ratings now. If you still need help let me know!.Expert is not paid for assisting you until you rate answer.Feel free to follow up for 30 days at no additional cost. Bonus always appreciated if you feel justified.