HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

I have an Aprilaire Model 8476. This morning, as I walked…

Customer Question
I have an Aprilaire Model...
I have an Aprilaire Model 8476. This morning, as I walked towards the unit to adjust the temperature, I zapped it with static electricity. The display froze. None of the buttons worked. I removed the batteries. I checked them with a battery tester. The batteries are good. I replaced the batteries. I hit the reset button. The display came on momentarily and then went off. The screen is blank. Any suggestions?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: HVAC
1/24/2016
HVAC Technician: Tim H., HVAC Professional replied 2 years ago
Tim H.
Tim H., HVAC Professional

Hi, I'm Tim and I'm an HVAC expert here to help answer your question(s). Please provide all the information I ask for since I'm not onsite. At the end of our dialog you will be asked to rate my service, but please wait until then and all your question(s) have been answered satisfactorily. If you are not satisfied, I'd appreciate it if you'd tell me why before leaving a negative rating and allow me to continue to work with you until we are able to both agree on an outcome to follow. Thanks for your business!

Which control do you have? The manual control or compensating control?

I have an Apilaire Model 8476 Thermostat with Event Based Air Cleaning

I got the humdifier model, but am wondering about the humidistat (the control).

Your answer makes no sense. I do not have a humidifier model. Please be honest with me. Do you know what you're doing or not?
I am not getting an answer regarding my Aprilaire Model 8476 Thermostat. Please cancel the charges to my credit card account of $28. Your service is not helping me at all and is too slow.

Sorry, I misread your question. I see you have an Aprilaire thermostat. Since Aprilaire makes humidifiers as well, I thought we were talking about a humidifier. So, display is blank, correct? It's possible that you may have fried the board in it, but lets try some things first. Since furnace provides power to the thermostat, have you checked to see if furnace has power? Blower door on tight? Power switch on? Also, may want to check low voltage fuse on furnace board to see if it is blown.

You are incorrect. The thermostat is strictly battery powered. The furnace does not provide power to the thermostat. I do not believe you understand the situation.

I see you just want to argue, so will opt out and open to other experts. Good luck!

That's fine. I am not satisfied with your service and want a full refund. Thank you.
Phil
Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer