HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

Both my thermostats have gone out. No circuit breaker were…

Customer Question
Both my thermostats have gone...
Both my thermostats have gone out. No circuit breaker were tripped. All the honey well electonics are blank under the house. However, my unit outside is getting power. Is there a reset switch on my honeywell electronics I should try? I couldn't find anything
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: HVAC
1/24/2016
HVAC Technician: Kcrand36, HVAC Mechanic replied 2 years ago
Kcrand36
Kcrand36, HVAC Mechanic

you have lost power to the furnace or boiler. Do you have a "top of the stair switch" usually entrance to basement or attic that someone may have shut off?

I should also say Air Handling unit if Heat pump......

let me know if you have checked this, and we can go further if needed.

The unit is in a crawl space, so no switches were accidentally flipped in order to turn it off. It is a heat pump system. I can't seem to find any switches on the unit itself. I don't know if this matter or not, but the I took the panel off the unit outside and pushed some button and the fan started to turn, so I know that part has power. All the lights to the damper system are off.

I'm almost convinced we have lost power. I would suspect this A/H being 120V, the outdoor unit is 230V, so it is a separate breaker. The zone panel and controls may be on a separate transformer. can you give me the model number of the zone control panel, and maybe even take a picture of inside with the cover removed, maybe we can narrow it down.

Ok I will take some pictures. Give me a few .

no problem, will be here...

on your second picture, you have a cover removed to the left? is that the blower motor section?

I think so. The other side has the coils

there is most likely a "door switch" on that panel. You must have that panel on or manually activate the door switch to test.....

There is a switch I had to pull off to open the door. But it has been in the whole time. I only opened it to take a picture for you. I will put back on now. What is the test?

can you take a picture a little further out on the left side of the air handler, I may be able to see it. It's a little piece of plastic, that the door press's up against, and closes a a switch. you probably won't see wires to it, because it is behind a flange. but if you have the door panel off, unless it has been jumped, it will not close, and also may kill power to the zone board. It should not be wired this way, but good installations are not always the case...... need to cover all the bases... if you know what I mean.

ok, great, now, we need to take a picture of the inside of the zone panel board, does the power get supplied to the zone powered board from that transformer your showing in the picture.?

please check wire # ***** from left, red wire feeding RH on terminal board. Make sure this wire is firmly seated in panel.

Feels secure

in picture 20160124_121, please check brn and black wire feeding (red labeled 24V power).

ok. I will check. I've had to go to work, so I will check when I get home. Thanks for your help.

ok let me know how you make out......... if you know how to use and have a voltmeter that would be great, if you don't have one, home depot or one of the other "big box stores" sells them pretty reasonable. that would be very helpful for you problem.

please feel free to rate the service so far, and I will be here to help you in the future for the same problem.