HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

I have a 1 year old Tempstat... I have a 1 year old Tempstat…

Customer Question
Hello. I have a 1...
Hello. I have a 1 year old Tempstat...
Hello. I have a 1 year old Tempstat furnace. 95 percent efficiency. The blower comes on but does not turn on the gas. The magic led flashes one short snd two long. Status code says: blower on after power up.
The igniter does not come on. The main blower comes on when connecting the R and W contacts going to the thermostat
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: HVAC
23 January 2016 10:30
Hello. I have a 1 year old...
Hello. I have a 1 year old Tempstat...
and after a short time stops and nothing is happening.
1/24/2016
HVAC Technician: Kcrand36, HVAC Mechanic replied 2 years ago
Kcrand36
Kcrand36, HVAC Mechanic

Good Morning. I am Kevin, one of the Tech's here on JA.

If your available to troubleshoot I think we can try to solve your problem.

hello Kcrand36. It is a nice name.
I have a 1 year old Tempstat furnace. 95 percent efficiency. The blower comes on but does not turn on the gas. The magic led flashes one short and two long. Status code says: blower on after power up. After disconnecting the power to the furnace sometime it shows also another code. Two long flashes which would meanblower on after power up.
The igniter does not come on. The main blower comes on when connecting the R and W contacts going to the thermostat.
by the way. tempstat model# ***** 1 STAGE FURNACE

when you say "blower motor" you are describing the small motor in the burner compartment, to remove the flue gas from the home?

no it is not the small fan that I think is called inducer fan but the big blower. The small fan does not come on at all

If your big "blower or circulating fan" does not run, then we need to address this problem, this would cause the "high limit" to open (do it's primary function) and not allow the furnace to over heat.

If your inducer motor does not run, then we need to go in that direction.

no the big blower fan comes on but only for a minute or so and than nothing is happening

do you have a "fan on" switch on the thermostat?

I also removed the combustion vent pipe to make sure that it is not a problem. with the front cover open the would be no problem with air intake as well

I'm talking only your blower motor now, the motor that circulates the heat or air conditioning into the room. If that motor does not operate properly, it will shut off the furnace. We need to determine if only this motor operates properly first.

to rule out the thermostat I disconnect the thermostat and connect the R and W contacts

try connecting the R and G contact. Tell me what happens?

hell. I am not at the house right now. Can you tell me a few trubleshuting options so when I get there in a couple hours I can check?

I may be here in a couple of hours, I would rather chat with you and give you the directions other then waste each others time.

I'm all about safety first.......

Ok I will try to reach you later. Do you keep all info for your members. Will I have to explain everything all over again? how can I reach you Kevin?

my username is ***** ***** I should be here. I have paperwork to do all day today, unless I have to go out on emergency call. Our entire conversation is always saved, so that if I am not here, there are others that can help, and see what we have tried so far. So you can always feel confident that we are addressing your question with a good "game plan"..... only because it's "football day" right?

Thanks

no problem.

hello Kevin. I am back at the furnace.

ok, I'm here, let's see if we can figure it out

I connected R and G contacts, thermostat disconnected, main fan is on, code status heart beat dimm and flash, small fan does not come on, the flame igniter does not come on
I also checked the small pvc drain pipe it is ok,

ok so your saying the vent motor does not come on?

vent motor does not come on, I checked if there is any voltage coming in, no voltage

do you have a volt/ohm meter?

I have a meter
Hello?

we need to test the voltage (120V) going to the draft inducer motor. reset the system, turning off then on, allow to go through maybe a 3 minute cycle and see if you get a 120V.........

if at any point you receive a 120V potential, wires are still connected to motor, then you have bad motor, you must start here for diagnosis.

do not call me. I pressed my mouse by mistake. so shall I disconnect the inducer wires or have them connected while checking?

if you can get the probes firmly seated into the connections to the draft motor that should be good. if it does not work the first time, I would tes by disconnecting the motor and placing the probes into the motor leads and retesting.

I just check the inducer motor it is working

ok, now move on to the next step............

ok, we have a call for heat, we have the thermostat calling for heat? inducer motor is running, I did not ask, but is this a rental or owner occupied unit?

occupied

is the gas turned on...... I know this maybe a stupid question but you need to start at the beginning?.

it is on, not a stupid question

lp or natural gas?

natural

ok, gas is on, thermostat is calling for "heat". then the furnace should be operating. what is happening on the furnace? on a call for heat?

Now it is working. Basically I did not do anything, just checked some things. What could be the problem? If it does the same thing again?

the problem is we need to know why the system did not heat. The system may produce a error code, but may have been cleared by so many consecutive successful cycles. You may need to let the system go to produce the error again. At the point of the error, we maybe able to diagnose the failed component if any. It may have been just a fluke. Either way, the heat is running and that is the goal. If the problem returns, please feel free to contact me directly.

Please leave a rating for the service you have received. If you don' t feel you have been satisfied, please contact me first before leaving a negative rating. Thank you

Kevin

has your question been resolved?