HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

I have a rite temp touch screen thermostat and some of the…

Customer Question
Hi I have a rite...
Hi I have a rite temp touch screen thermostat and some of the touch features are not responding.. I cannot manually adjust the temperature by touching he current temp and I cannot change the time so I am stuck on the current heat settings
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: HVAC
1/24/2016
HVAC Technician: airheatman, HVAC Technician replied 2 years ago
airheatman
airheatman, HVAC Technician

What is model on thermostat?

8082BLRC

Have you tried removing batteries if applicable for a few seconds and replacing?

I replaced with new batteries and it did not do anything
I hit reset and the screen went blank for a second but came back and I'm having the same issues

OK at this point it appears thermostat has taken a power spike.We have tried all of the tricks to reset based on manufacturer's suggestions.At this point, since thermostat will not respond it will be necessary to replace, but before you do, there is one trick I have seen work to reset these digital thermostats that works sometimes. That is to remove batteries and install them backwards for 5 seconds, Then remove and install properly,If this does not reset the little computer board in the thermostat you will need to replace the thermostat.

Note: Occasionally , this will not work and will even cause thermostat to start smoking.If so simply remove batteries.If thermostat is not working already, it is worthless anyway, so no harm done .I have seen it work about 20 per cent of the time. So if that is something you are comfortable doing would try it.Could save you having to buy another thermostat.Otherwise, just go ahead and replace it.

I did see that in another website and have already tried but thank you

If none of that works you will need to replace thermostat.Let me know if you would like recommendations.I would stay away from Rittemp as they are pretty much junk and highly susceptable to issues like this.