HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

I'm having a terrible time keeping my heat pump free of snow…

Customer Question
Hi, my name is...

Hi, my name is Lilah. I'm having a terrible time keeping my heat pump free of snow - it's too hard to get to it to uncover it at the moment (the snow is waist high). Wondering if I should just turn it very low so it doesn't strain to run ???

Contractor's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

We're in a blizzard. I've been out to dig around it once and it's now completely covered again and I can't get through the waist deep snow to clear it argh.

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: HVAC
1/23/2016
HVAC Technician: airheatman, HVAC Technician replied 2 years ago
airheatman
airheatman, HVAC Technician

Lilah if you have backup heat strips. the best thing you can do until this snow resides is turn thermostat to Emergency heat and rely on backup strips to prevent damage to heat pump.

Thank you. But I don't see an emergency heat setting on the thermostat. Or do you mean, just turn it way down? Thanks!!

What thermostat do you have?

It's a Carrier.
Oh, duh, that's e-heat, right?

That is correct.

Okay, thank you. Any particular temp I should use for that? I have it pretty low -- around 58 now.

Turn to E heat and lets make sure we get warm air at registers and outdoor is not on

. Set to about 68

Yep, warm. I'm sorry, do you mean make sure heat pump outside isn't on? I can't see it. :(
Okay, 68, got it.
Since it's at 58 now, I'll creep it up slowly. I'm fine at 58, by the way, but can use 68 if better for the pump.

ON E Heat pump should not come on so you can set as you desire .

Okay, thank you for your help! Stay warm in you're out East in this.

If you have further questions, please let me know.

Thanks for letting me work with you.If my answer has been polite, professional,and thorough, please click one of the ratings now. If you still need help let me know!.Expert is not paid for assisting you until you rate answer.Feel free to follow up for 30 days at no additional cost. Bonus always appreciated if you feel justified.