HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

My name is ***** *****.
, I have an Aprilaire 8446. I…

Customer Question
My name is *****...

My name is ***** *****.

Contractor's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

I have an Aprilaire 8446. I took the face plate off to paint. When I put it back on is simply says "OFF." I don't know what to do to turn it back on.

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: HVAC
1/23/2016
HVAC Technician: Tim H., HVAC Professional replied 2 years ago
Tim H.
Tim H., HVAC Professional

Hi, I'm Tim and I'm an HVAC expert here to help answer your question(s). Please provide all the information I ask for since I'm not onsite. At the end of our dialog you will be asked to rate my service, but please wait until then and all your question(s) have been answered satisfactorily. If you are not satisfied, I'd appreciate it if you'd tell me why before leaving a negative rating and allow me to continue to work with you until we are able to both agree on an outcome to follow. Thanks for your business! On the Aprilaire 8400 series thermostats there should be a button right next to MODE. This is the button you would press the the desired thing, HEAT or COOL depending on what you are calling for.

Mode button, or any other control button do not work. The entire display is blank except for the single word "off." It is snowing now. Going out to get new thermostat. Too cold inside.

You may want to check your furnace or air handler first since this supplies power to the thermostat. Could be a blower door not on tight, blown fuse on the board or power switch turned off.

Checked all that last night and also the circuit breakers. Unit was functioning prior to pulling the thermostat face off it's mount to paint. After reinstalling the thermostat face the display was blank except for the single word "off".

Try reseating it on backplate. Perhaps some of the pins are not making contact.

If you have a votmeter, I can help you quickly determine if it's the stat or the furnace.

Checked that as well, multiple times. It is seated properly.I am at work currently and unable to check with voltmeter. I'm more convinced the thermostat broke when I dismounted it from the back plate. Planning to buy a new one on the way home.

OK, well if you need further help, let me know.

Thanks. Will do.

OK