HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

Rick. My name is ***** *****. I have an Olsen Furnace with a…

Customer Question
Hello Rick. My name...

Hello Rick. My name is ***** *****. I have an Olsen Furnace with a Beckett R7184B Primary Control. Plenty of fuel, new air filter, new oil filter cartridge. When it reaches the set temperature, when the thermostat starts to cycle on again, the control goes into lockout. Any ideas?

Contractor's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

The green light is usually just flashes that it is in lockout. Press the red button and light goes off then press the button again and it fires back up.

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: HVAC
Answered in 1 minute by:
1/22/2016
HVAC Technician: Rick, HVAC Supervisor replied 2 years ago
Rick
Rick, HVAC Supervisor

Does the burner fire up then lock out or not fire and lock out?

Hello Rick, it has done both. it seems to be more frequent on the side that it doesn't fire then locks out. When we are not home or overnight and the thermostat calls for heat, but nothing happens and the temperature drops into the low 60's or high 50's when it is set at 68.

Sounds like your burner needs a tune up if it doesn't fire up when it should. If it locks out when it is firing then you could have a bad/dirty cad cell (electric eye) or cad cell socket since this would indicate the control isn't seeing the fire

Is there an easy way to clean or check the cad cell?

Just turn off the power and release the 2 screws at the front of the burner transformer. Then swing the transformer back on its hinge. The cad cell is under the transformer. It's plugged into a socket that has 2 yellow wires. Make sure the glass end is clean. That's they only easy thing you can do.

Sounds good. I will give that a try. Thank You!

You're welcome