HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

Phil my name is ***** *****. I have a Honeywell thermostat.

Customer Question
Phil my name is...

Phil my name is ***** *****. I have a Honeywell thermostat. The screen said "change battery" so I opened the back side unit that holds the two AA batteries and took them out. Put in two new batteries and now just have a blank LED screen. I checked online to make sure I did this correctly, but still no working thermostat I even changed to another set of batteries. No luck. Looked for a button to push other than the programming buttons but other button. So I was checking the web on how to fire this puppy up. otherwise I will not have any heat. I am in Denver, Colorado.

Contractor's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

No. It was working fine before but just followed directions to change the two batteries.

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: HVAC
phil - I should add that it is a xcel Honeywell programmable thermostat. Nick
1/21/2016
HVAC Technician: Tim H., HVAC Professional replied 2 years ago
Tim H.
Tim H., HVAC Professional

Hi, I'm Tim and I'm an HVAC expert here to assist you with your questions. Please provide all information I request as it makes it more difficult to troubleshoot something when I'm not there onsite. Essentially, you become my eyes and ears. Thanks for the opportunity to help. At the end of our dialog, you will have a chance to rate my service, but please wait until we are finished and you're satisfied you have all the information you need.

What is the full model number of the thermostat, please? What kind of unit does this control?

Tim. I do not have the unit number. It is an Excel residential unit and cpny

I'll need model numbers in order to assist. Otherwise, I'd just be guessing. Is this controlling a forced air furnace, boiler, or heat pump? Usually the model number on a thermostat can be found on the back part of the front section of the thermostat.

Tim - this is an xcel energy residential unit, for cooling and heat. All it says is it is Honeywell and xcel. I cannot take it off the wall. The battery unit slides out for the right back and holds two AA batteries. The LED screen in on the front with three buttons under it - one controls selection of heat or ac, the other controls time and day and the third control whether the fan is on auto or not. I think that is it but now it is blank. It is a unit that is about 2 years old now. Nick
it is controlling a forced air furnace.

If you can, please upload a picture of the thermostat. Also, since the thermostat is powered by the furnace, may want to check for a blown fuse on the circuit board of the furnace.

just took the photo with my phone. will add the file in a minute. Nick
The furnace was working perfectly before so doubt if it is a blown fuse. The fan still comes off and on to circulate air in the house. Just the thermostat led screen is blank now whereas it was not before I changed batteries. I can call Xcel and have them come tomorrow and get it working. I thought this was a simple matter but apparently not just changing batteries. Sorry I do not have a manual. I am looking for one but so far no luck. I am going to check one other place in the house. Be back at you. thanks for trying to help. Nick

Well, it does seem strange that everything was fine before you changed batteries. Did you install them correctly? You mention a door that pulls out, is this all the way back in?

Thanks for the picture. That is just a standard Honeywell thermostat with Xcel logo on it.

I took it out and double checked the batteries to make sure they were positive on positive and negative on negative. I took them out and reseated them in the unit. pushed it back in. then took it out again and made sure it clicked in solidly. The only thing I can think of is that where the batteries need to touch the metal on the bottom after you put it in they are not touching it correctly. Maybe the positive pole is but the negative is not. I have not way of knowing once I push the battery holder back in. as I said earlier I have changed the batteries three times with different batteries thinking that maybe the problem, but that has not made a difference.

The batteries do not actually power the thermostat, however, they are only there for backup in the event of a power outage. I still think you may have blown a 3 amp fuse on the furnace board.

Tim - I just opened the little door that slides out from the right back. Looked in to see if the metal contacts were somehow out of position and they appeared to be in the correct position. The top of the door states on it to "press" and I interpreted that to mean press to open, but I pressed it after I put the unit back in and snapped into place. it did not make a difference. I think I am going to have to call Xcel and have them come out. I will go into the garage to check the furnace, but its fan is sure working on cycle. Nick
OK - will check furnace now.

Yeah, something appears to have gotten damaged on the stat.

I have some good news and some bad news. I found the installation guide manual for the thermostat but I could find the fuse. I took off the front panel of the furnace and did not see a fuse place. The thermostat is a FocusPRO TH6000 Series.

Yeah, that's what I said, this is just a standard Honeywell thermostat with an X-cel logo on it (perhaps X-cel energy installed your system?) The thermostat should have a display regardless of the battery condition as the thermostat IS NOT POWERED BY THE BATTERIES! They are only there for backup to hold the program in the event of a power outage. So if you did not take and separate the front and back sections of the thermostat, I'm guessing thermostat got damaged somehow. The fuse would be on the furnace board, down in the blower section.

ok. I do understand what you told me that the furnace or thermostat is not dependent on the batteries. I got that. It is strange that as soon as the batteries came out the furnace stopped working. I did not take any panels off the thermostat, just opened the battery unit in back which came out sideways. Changed the batteries and put it right back in. I think we had better quit this dialogue since you have lost it with me. Thanks. Nick

I haven't lost it, Nick. I am just trying to explain that the batteries whether rundown, bad, or what should not actually affect the display. But what could have happened is in the process of changing batteries, that somehow the fuse blew on the furnace board. The other option is that the thermostat somehow got damaged.

Well - I have checked the furnace and it does seem to be dead. Put the furnace panel back on. I am just going to call xcel. They will send somebody out here in the morning. I do not know how to get to the blower - all I know is how to change the filter which is below the blower. The panel above the blower does not come off. And I do not have a fuse anyway, so I am tired (76 years old) and need to have a stiff drink I think. Just kidding. I did hold the center button down on the thermostat since the installation instruction say to do that to initiate it. did not work. So Tim, thanks for trying to help. Just going to call xcel. Bless you buddy. Nick

Let me know if you have additional questions on this. Otherwise, good luck! Thanks for using Just Answer and please don't forget to rate my service as that's how experts get paid (thanks in advance for any bonus left). Otherwise experts work at their own time and expense. Feel free to post back with any additional questions.