HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

My water heater has been shutting itself off about once a…

Customer Question
My water heater has been...
My water heater has been shutting itself off about once a day for the last week.
Can you tell me what the problem might be? and any parts information I need?
Rheem Guardian System
Model #22V40FISQ
Serial #RHLN0607Z05762
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: HVAC
1/20/2016
HVAC Technician: Tim H., HVAC Professional replied 2 years ago
Tim H.
Tim H., HVAC Professional

Hi, I'm Tim and I'm an HVAC expert here to assist you with your questions. Please provide all information I request as it makes it more difficult to troubleshoot something when I'm not there onsite. Essentially, you become my eyes and ears. Thanks for the opportunity to help. At the end of our dialog, you will have a chance to rate my service, but please wait until we are finished and you're satisfied you have all the information you need.

Have you tried replacing the thermocouple?

No, as I said i my question... I don't know what part to order for my water heater. The Rheem website is very unhelpful so I haven't been able to figure out how to replace the thermocouple so I asked you to identify it for me

The thermocouple is a universal part that can be picked up at any hardware or home improvement store. Does not need to be a Rheem specific part. Thermocouples should be replaced about once a year and are the primary cause of the pilot going out.

If you want to order the actual Rheem part, it is part # ***** Found one here. Again, though, any standard universal replacement thermocouple should work.

Let me know if you have additional questions on this. Otherwise, good luck! Thanks for using Just Answer and please don't forget to rate my service as that's how experts get paid (thanks in advance for any bonus left). Otherwise experts work at their own time and expense. Feel free to post back with any additional questions.