Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

Trying to wire rheem performance plus electric water heater

Customer Question

trying to wire rheem performance plus electric water heater to a night rate timer....can you explain how to do the following which is stated in the manual..."For use with off peak meter remove wire nut from red and black leads and connect to off peak timer" Where are these leads and the nut that is spoken about? Thanks
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I'm Tim and I'm an HVAC expert here to assist you with your questions. Please provide all information I request as it makes it more difficult to troubleshoot something when I'm not there onsite. Essentially, you become my eyes and ears. Thanks for the opportunity to help. At the end of our dialog, you will have a chance to rate my service, but please wait until we are finished and you're satisfied you have all the information you need.

They are probably referring to incoming power which will be under a plate at the very top of water heater close to flexible conduit.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
did not work....that's just the normal wiring....timer works to turn water heater on at night but after the cycle is completed the power to the water heater goes off and the stored hot water begins to cool during the day