How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Phil Your Own Question
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Category: HVAC
Satisfied Customers: 6022
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
Type Your HVAC Question Here...
Phil is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have an old sunbeam/american standard natural gas furnace.

Customer Question

I have an old sunbeam/american standard natural gas furnace. It has a button to press to crank it up. Makes all the burners light up. It usually stays depressed after I press it in, lighting it for the season, but it has begun popping back out after a while, making me press it back in every time I want heat in the house. What is the name of that part and do you think I can find one these days. The button has a gas line running from it.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I'm Tim and I'm an HVAC expert here to help answer your question(s). Please provide all the information I ask for since I'm not onsite. At the end of our dialog you will be asked to rate my service, but please wait until then and all your question(s) have been answered satisfactorily. If you are not satisfied, I'd appreciate it if you'd tell me why before leaving a negative rating and allow me to continue to work with you until we are able to both agree on an outcome to follow. Thanks for your business!

The part you need is called a gas valve. You probably have on e of the old wind up type of gas valves. These are no longer used anymore, (obsolete), but I can help you find a universal replacement gas valve. Give me the total BTU input of your old furnace, please?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Where do I find the btu input?
Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.

It should be on a tag inside the unit.

Related HVAC Questions