HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

Like others, my (Thermo Pride) furnace has been a problem…

Customer Question
Like others, my (Thermo...

Like others, my (Thermo Pride) furnace has been a problem over the last few months. Multiple visits by my heating co. have not found the cause. They get it going and it works for a couple of days or weeks and then the controller trips. Sometimes, after resetting, the furnace starts and cycles normally for a few days and then trips again. Nozzle changed, coupler to motor changed (worn), found loose wire to controller (continued to trip after a week or so), all voltage checks, fuel lines cleared and checked, fire detector checks, etc. Four different technicians so far. Last one said the next thing to do would be to replace the controller. Expensive. Any other ideas?

Contractor's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

23-yr. old Thermo Pride AM658171. Regularly serviced each year. New thermostat a year ago. This morning when furnace hadn't started heating after night setback to 55 deg., I tried five resets. Each time, the motor started and ran for about 20-25 secs and then tripped. Only other strange thing is that when I "jiggle" the reset button, sometimes the red trip light goes out...

Contractor's Assistant: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to HVAC Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. We can help you for less if you're not in a rush. Are you willing to wait a bit?

Willing to wait but I am going to go ahead and call the heating co. They haven't charged me for all these repeat visits. I will ask them to bring a new controller.

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: HVAC
Still waiting-- Heating co. is trying to schedule me. Tech. says if pushing the reset, starts the motor normally then it's probably not the controller. Something else is signaling the controller to trip. ??
1/19/2016
HVAC Technician: BillyHvac, Journeyman HVAC Tech replied 2 years ago
BillyHvac
BillyHvac, Journeyman HVAC Tech

I am very sorry your question has not been picked up yet.

I just logged on and found you had not been assisted.

Please let me know if you still need help and I will do my best. Please do not "Rate" as we have not worked toward an answer yet.

If you would like to proceed let me know by replying.

Thanks for the text message. I plan to get back on line tomorrow (Tuesday) to continue.

I will opt out so anyone online can assist when you return

Billy

Billy,My heating guy is here--I'll be going with him so thanks for your time.Cameron