HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

I have a u-line ice maker and it keeps creating an iceberg…

Customer Question
I have a u-line ice...
I have a u-line ice maker and it keeps creating an iceberg block that doesn't drop and causes ice to not be made. I have run throughout cleaning cycle twice. Any other suggestions what would keep causing this? Thanks! Also, I lowered the setting for ice thickness too and still blocks up.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: HVAC
1/17/2016
HVAC Technician: shaithus1,
 replied 2 years ago
shaithus1

Hi let me see if I can help... can you provide a model number?

It sounds like your ice thickness sensor is not working... but until I get a model number to see a schematic I really cant help you.

Phillip

3018clrs
HVAC Technician: shaithus1,
 replied 2 years ago

ok per the manual "Ice thickness adjustment should only be made one increment at a time. Allow ice maker production to stabilize for 24 hours before rechecking ice thickness"

The ice cube thickness is factory set for best overall performance. The factory setting “0” is designed to maintain an ice bridge of approximately 1/16" to 1/8" (1.6 mm to 3.2 mm) under normal conditions, resulting in a dimple of approximately 1/4" to 1/2" (6.4 mm to 12.7 mm) in depth. A fuller cube with less of a dimple results in a thicker ice bridge. As the ice bridge thickens, the tendency for the cubes to stay together as a slab increases. A bridge thicker than 1/8" (3.2 mm) may cause cubes to overfill the ice bucket.

HVAC Technician: shaithus1,
 replied 2 years ago

I'm searching for a wiring schematic... if you follow the manual.. and the unit still overproduces ice... there is the ice thickness sensor and the control board to consider....

HVAC Technician: shaithus1,
 replied 2 years ago

try the 24 hour guidelines and I will see about the schematic...

Phillip

Okay, it has made ice and produced a full bin but not consistently and eventually blocks up to where the ice won't drop anymore because an ice block forms and won't drop do it stops producing ice because the block is so thick it can't drop.
HVAC Technician: shaithus1,
 replied 2 years ago

ok... let me understand.... the ice that is made..... is it consistent in size and thickness...?

if it is... then the ice block forms when the unit wont read the bin being full....

if it is not of consistent size and thickness then we have an ice thickness sensor fault...

HVAC Technician: shaithus1,
 replied 2 years ago

​I have been everywhere I know to go... I cannot locate a service manual... I have the operators manual..

If you have adjusted the ice thickness to the lowest setting and the unit still creates the block then you will need to contact a service agent to repair the unit. Unless you know where to get parts and how to replace them.
Thank you for using Just Answer..Phillip