HVAC

Have HVAC Questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for Answers

HVAC

I am trying to install new Nest thermastat. Nest Pro help

Customer Question
I am trying to install...
I am trying to install new Nest thermastat . Nest Pro help thinks I need to modify .wirering.Any help is appreciated .
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: HVAC
1/15/2016
HVAC Technician: Tim H., HVAC Professional replied 1 year ago
Tim H.
Tim H., HVAC Professional

Hi, I'm Tim and I'm an HVAC expert here to help answer your question(s). Please provide all the information I ask for since I'm not onsite. At the end of our dialog you will be asked to rate my service, but please wait until then and all your question(s) have been answered satisfactorily. If you are not satisfied, I'd appreciate it if you'd tell me why before leaving a negative rating and allow me to continue to work with you until we are able to both agree on an outcome to follow. Thanks for your business!

What is Nest support saying you need to do?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
contact carrier expert for guidance

Where are you having problems with the wiring?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
when i remove carrier thermostat and install Nest 3 thermostat wired as instructed or as some experts recommended (switch blower connector to common connector )
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
furnace does not respond

Tell me exactly how you have it wired, please.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
tim this is a customers install and i cant spend any more money so i cant give you more money for a phone conversation what i need is the modified wiring description or circuit modifi
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
im only getting 50 for the install

I understand. But I need to know exactly how you have it wired.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
y1-yellow w1-white rh-red g-green

The y1 and w 1 sound right as well as the red to R-RH. You need a common. The way to do this is to take the green wire and move it to C or COM at both the board and the thermostat.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
also tried c-green
as per nest pro instructions all wires are labelled before removal and installed same

green wire needs to be moved to C or common at both stat and furnace board.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
i do have thermostat install skills and have heard some systems are difficult to change over to nest and because of cost should be passes by but i need to get this job up and running for future opps with this customer

I understand. So have you moved green wire to C at stat and C or COM at furnace board?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
will try green to common again but i got a fan pulsing on and off after furnace shut off the board is connected to thermostat by means of a gang plug there is board connections avail

OK, tell me what is the make and full model number of furnace? Also, if you can upload some pics, that would be helpful. There is a $28 charge for this question, just so you know.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
do you think i need to add 1 wire so that fan control wire and com wire are there

Possibly. But first can you get me the information I asked for?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
the model number is ***** CARRIER INFINITY FURNACE AND THERMOSTST
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
IS THE $28 ADDITIONAL

The $28 is the standard charge for your question. If you wanted a phone call that would be additional.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
COOL

So not understanding why you are having trouble moving the green wire? The terminals are clearly labeled on the board. Perhaps I am not understaning something?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
THE THERMOSTAT WIRES PLUG IN TO A DIFFERENT LOCATION (A , B , C , D , ) HARNESS PLUG

Did you have a communicating thermostat before?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
DO I INSTALL ALL 4 WIRES INTO REMOTE SCREW TYPE TERMINALS

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
THE INFINITY THERM AND IS A PROGRAMMABLE TYPE WITH MULTI SPEED FAN CONTROLS - YOU CAN ALSO RUN FAN BY ITS SELF

OK, take the thermostat wires off the ABCD terminal and transfer red to R terminal, white to W1, yellow to Y1, and green wire to C or COM at board and C at stat

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
ILL GIVE THIS A TRY WHEN I RETURN TO SITE ,THANKS FOR YOUR INPUT

Sounds good.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
WAS LOOKING FOR MORE OF A - (SEEN THIS BEFORE ON THIS MOD , HERE DO THIS)
HOPE I DONT SMOKE THE BOARD ITS ONLY 24VAC

The problem is you are going from a communicating thermostat setup to a standard thermostat setup. So that's why it's not working

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
GOOD BYE

Post back after everything is done and let me know the results.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
WILL DO

Thanks

Let me know if you have additional questions on this. Otherwise, good luck! Thanks for using Just Answer and please don't forget to rate my service as that's how experts get paid (thanks in advance for any bonus left). Otherwise experts work at their own time and expense. Feel free to post back with any additional questions.

Tim H.
Tim H.
Tim H., HVAC Professional