Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

We moved into this house last summer. Heat has been working

Customer Question

We moved into this house last summer. Heat has been working fine so far. Last night, we used the gas fireplace for first time. I don't know if that is a factor, but now the Honeywell thermostat seems to be on Aux Heat. We did not change it to that. We have the thermostat set at 69, and it is now 65 in the house (and falling). How do I change it back to regular heat? I don't have the manual, but from pictures online it looks like my thermostat is a Honeywell 8000 programmable thermostat.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I'm Tim and I'm an HVAC expert here to help answer your question(s). Please provide all the information I ask for since I'm not onsite. At the end of our dialog you will be asked to rate my service, but please wait until then and all your question(s) have been answered satisfactorily. If you are not satisfied, I'd appreciate it if you'd tell me why before leaving a negative rating and allow me to continue to work with you until we are able to both agree on an outcome to follow. Thanks for your business!

If you have an outside temperature sensor and the outdoor temp is below the setpoint, the emergency heat will come on and lock out the heat pump. See below:

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't see any outside temp sensor, and it was much colder here a few days ago than it is now, so I think that would have shown up as a problem then. Other suggestions?
Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.

Does your thermostat show outside temp on it?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
why would it have switched over to AUX heat? Would it have had anything to do with us having the gas fireplace on last evening? How do I get it back to regular heat? The furnace is not clicking on and off like it normally does.
Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.

There could be a problem with your furnace if that is your regular heat and then since the thermostat is sensing gas heat is not keeping up, it kicks on AUX heat.

Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.

Might want to try powering off your furnace and then back on thereby resetting it.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I turned the system off, waited about 30 seconds, and turned it back on. Thermostat just said "following schedule" for awhile. (We have never changed any "schedule"). Then it said "heat on" for about one minute. I was hoping to feel heat coming out of the vents soon. Went to check the closest heater vent - nothing. When I came back to the thermostat it had clicked back to "AUX heat on". Suggestions?
Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.

OK, I don't know anything about your system. Do you have a heat pump with backup gas heat? What is the full make and model number on your furnace? Is there an LED flash code showing up on the furnace?